• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bull Fries or Mountain Oysters Anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe not for the most Macho men or Panty Waist Sissies taste, but anyone here like or ever try them?

I think that it might be a more Midwestern thing, but here in Nebraska, we even have a TESTICLE FESTIVAL every year where people come from miles around to partake in the big event with food, dancing, music and plates full of fried bull, turkey and lamb testicles! ...... Hey! It's a ball(s)!
:doh: .....Had to say that!

Had them at the Testicle Festival in MT years ago - not very exciting flavor- or texture-wise, but not terrible. Needed salt...

Had some fried rooster testicles at Ft. Union 5 or 6 years ago - they were far tastier!

I'd eat them again if given the opportunity.

I was diagnosed with gout once. No idea why I got it, but the doctor asked if I'd been eating prairie oysters - apparently they are high in the mineral that causes gout - uric acid?

The pain was pretty intense, I was glad there's a one pill, one dose cure. No way would I risk it again for all the culinary/testicular delights imaginable!

Jamie

Bull balls are good if properly prepared and cooked.....had them in Spain which has a long history of eating them. There is a restaurant in Madrid that specializes in bull balls and some even come from the latest el Toro that died in the bull ring. Ole!.....Fred

On the ranch where I grew up, we would gather and brand all the unbranded young beeves twice a year, and that included turning the bulls into steers, if you know what I mean. Our branding fire was a propane torch blowing into a 3' long piece of 5 inch steel well casing pipe with the other end covered by a welded on steel plate and an opening in the side to put the irons into.

Invariably some old cowboy would collect whatever oysters were large enough to fool with and lay them on top of the hot steel pipe to cook. They would flip them over with the same pocket knife they used to remove them from their previous owner, and cut them open to let the juices out to harden a bit like. When done they'd stick it with the knife and eat it down, right off the knife blade. I never developed the desire to copy them, and usually threw the ones I removed on the ground; just wasteful I guess. I've seen them on the menu, but never ordered any, and never saw them in a store for sale.

I've had them a few times. They arnt too bad.

Hubby did several round ups in WY and they would collect buckets of them to deep fry for lunch.

I've had them a number of times. Usually breaded and fried. I like them on occasion. In the plains states local bars often have them a few times a year.

IF you have (or have a friend who has) sheep/calves/swine to cut, make friends with the CAPADOR & he'll save you the best ones.

yours, satx

I've tried them, was not impressed. Bull a few times sheep a few more. I often thought eating them was just an attempt at sympathetic magic. Saw bull penis sold in a soup in south east asia, but I only saw a few old chiefs eat it. (This was when I was in the navy, and the 'old chiefs' couldn't have been much over fourty).The rest of us decided the old guys were just looking for some help

I've eaten a lot of "peculiar stuff" OCONUS (Third World nations don't throw away much of anything that has protein.) but haven't ever even seen that soup.

Mountain oyster are tasty (imo) IF they are properly cleaned, deep-fried & sliced thin.

yours, satx

Just go on google and type in ' Asian penis dishes' and it will give a lot of results.
I've eaten my share of mt. Oysters, and taste is taste just never cared for them. But I need to chop liver fine and put in a soup with other meats, as I find it makes a better broth, but don't care for it by the plate. I think the major cause of the AWI was we didn't put kidney in our meat pies , live liver I need it in small bites lost with other meats. I like brains and eggs but don't eat them at all since 'mad cow' put a fear in to me.

tenngun said:
I like brains and eggs but don't eat them at all since 'mad cow' put a fear in to me.
The brains in brains and eggs are from pigs - no Mad Cow Disease is possible...

When calf brains are served, they are from cattle that are far too young to be a problem. The issue is with older cattle brains, spinal column or lymphatic tissue...

I spect pigs is good, by I've eaten lots of brains. Had them from cattle, deer, bunnies, and squirrel. Mad cow is just a cattle form of a pyron infection. A string of proteins that don't break down with heat.
Now I smoke my pipe, and I have been known to trek alone, I carry a few extra pounds and enjoy a beer and a wee drop of the creature on my days off so there is no logic to my position at all, but I don't take chances with brains any more.

Prion proteins (PRP) are ubiquitous - it is the PRPres form that causes the problems. Spongiform encephalopathies are found in a number of species including sheep, deer, elk, mink, humans and cattle. There appears to be one that is tenuously linked with eating squirrel brains.

Fascinating family of diseases. Kuru is by far the most interesting, not so much for the disease itself, rather its epidemiology.

You guys are spoiling my appetite for brains and animal balls even though I don't understand what you're saying...but it certainly sounds bad. At 84 yrs old I've eaten a lotta stuff that I shouldn't have according to a couple of posts but will probably keep on eating these "dangerous foods".....Fred

We all gotta die of something. I choose to eat well, drink well and die happy...

That's a truism. We all have irrational fears, mine is I don't eat brains any more, since all the brains I eat could be infected. Worse, until it's advanced you can't tell and you can't kill it by cocking.
Still your chances of something going bad are pretty low.
We all take irrational chances. As said I trek alone. Should something go bad I could have a slow pointless death, but I'm ok with that.
You know the last words of a red neck, but he did have a smile on his face when he went.

Back