• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building percussion lock 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy "RECREATING THE DOUBLE BARREL MUZZLE LOADING SHOTGUN" by William R. Brockway. It's about the only way to figure out how to build a SXS shot gun . I used it as a guide when I was building them. For single barrels look at hawken rifles, they are breeched about the same way.
Google "English shot guns" Also "Nock Breech" or "chambered breech". Look at Rock Island auction Co and look at their past auctions.
SXS flint gun made with damascus cartridge barrels
There is a copy of Brockway's book for sale right now on ebay.

There is a copy of Brockway's book for sale right now on ebay.
Yes, for 150 dollars. The problem isn’t that there aren’t any copies, but the price was jacked up from 30-50 to 150 and up. I’m not going to buy multiple books at once for that much money. I will buy one and read it all the way through then buy another. I still have to check the library and other places too.

I’m awaiting the book “how to build percussion lock rifle or pistol”. I couldn’t afford the book “ how to build double barrel muzzleloading shotgun”. My goal is to build a percussion single barrel shotgun, then attempt the double. I can’t find much documentation, or texts on it. Does anyone here know how the barrel plug and nipple are designed? Or where I could find schematics, blueprints, or information?
Back in 1983 Muzzle Blasts had a several part series about this very subject with quite a bit of detail. If you are a NMLRA member every back issue is available online after you log in as a member on their website.

Back in 1983 Muzzle Blasts had a several part series about this very subject with quite a bit of detail. If you are a NMLRA member every back issue is available online after you log in as a member on their website.
That’s good informations thanks.

Can anyone make sense of this diagram? It’s a bolster or mainspring anchor brazed to the plate. The way it is drafted makes no sense to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes, for 150 dollars. The problem isn’t that there aren’t any copies, but the price was jacked up from 30-50 to 150 and up. I’m not going to buy multiple books at once for that much money. I will buy one and read it all the way through then buy another. I still have to check the library and other places too.
The copy I saw is listed at 75.00

I have another question about this books dimensions. I’m making a 3D printed template and designs of all the drafts in the book. I want to make sure I know what the end result should look like. I was close on this lock plate, but the draft shows the radius of a small circle to be 9.354 inches. Does anyone else know how to interpret the drafting of this part?

I attached two photos, one of the drawing with the printed template, and one of just the draft. If anyone knows how to interpret how that circle should be located on the lock plate, I would appreciate the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just FYI ....
You can buy shotgun barrels from Numrich gun parts for $26 ea. They have 24 and 16 ga. barrel . I've used a bunch of them . They are old unbreeched barrels that were going to be used in making double barrels . In used , unbreeched . I made a bunch of short trade guns from these barrels ....breech plugs are about $15 so you aren't going to have much $ in it ....

Back