• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building 4 Bore Rifle #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If gaps were too small to fix with a wood splinter they probably just left them alone. That is what I would do.

8 bore is going to be around 200 ft/lbs of recoil. That is still quite a lot. I would go with English or Turkish walnut on that just because they were typically European guns. Claro walnut would work also, but avoid black walnut. Straight grain maple would work great. Curly maple is not all suitable for it. The stock that I am using for the 4 bore is not at all suitable either. Good amount of figure and even a bit of burl. But there are ways around it to make it work. I will be getting to that later in the videos.
A modern .30-06 rifle gives about 20 ft lbs of recoil. You are saying your gun will recoil TEN TIMES as much? Really?

A 8 bore has around 200 ft/lbs of recoil. The gun I am building here is a 4 bore and will be more like 350 to 400 ft/lbs of recoil. Its more like 20 times the recoil of a 30-06. It takes a 1700 grain ball and uses powder charges over 500 grains. Yes, it really does recoil that much. I already have a finished 4 bore that I shoot fairly often. I barely even notice the recoil of modern elephant guns now.

A 8 bore has around 200 ft/lbs of recoil. The gun I am building here is a 4 bore and will be more like 350 to 400 ft/lbs of recoil. Its more like 20 times the recoil of a 30-06. It takes a 1700 grain ball and uses powder charges over 500 grains. Yes, it really does recoil that much. I already have a finished 4 bore that I shoot fairly often. I barely even notice the recoil of modern elephant guns now.
Yup, they do indeed. The older muzzleloading single 4's have a wicked tendency bred into them. Selous did not claim to have permanent damage from them just to be blowing hot air.

Recoil on a 4 bore truly is enormous. But I think that much of what was written about them is a load of garbage. It does NOT make you spin around, give you detached retina, or give you a concussion. I am not buying the permanent flinch thing either. It is rather difficult to shoot it without a flinch, but I am getting better at it rather than worse. And there are stories about shooting it from horseback is nonsense. NOT going to happen! Well, you could shoot it from horseback, but you won't be on horseback afterwards. Not a chance. Shooting a double load breaks the stock and knocks you out cold. That one does seem plausible.

Latest posts

Back