• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build quality & detail of my first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemuzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It's funny how you become somewhat "fussy" about the details once you have built a M\L? I now look very closely at my first build (a flint pistol) and see how much of the finer details I just overlooked or said "that'll do."

OTOH, the pistol is for hunting....it's not "ugly" by any means.....but you just notice.

FWIW

You’re on the way to doing better work because you are willing to critique your own. The details makes the fun factor go up.

On a similar note, I find it odd how the mistakes and imperfections on original muzzleloaders just adds charm and character, but similar imperfections and mistakes on your own builds are soul crushing.

There's a difference w/ the mistakes on originals and most of those being built today.....the originals were built w/ a profit in mind and most of those built today are by amateurs who don't have to make a living building MLers.

A serious critique of one's work is part of the process of improving one's skills, but it can be very subjective if it's not a realistic evaluation.

Today's standards are higher than when the originals were built...whether we like it or not. I never understood the phrase "in a workman like manner" which pertains to the quality level of our builds. I don't consider that phrase when building because it can be an excuse for shoddy workmanship.

When I visited TOW and was talking w/ Dave Kiplinger the owner, a builder brought in a LR made from a TOW "kit" and wanted to know how much it was worth. Dave didn't want to give him a price but the builder insisted....so Dave gave him a price that was below the cost of the "kit". The builder angrily walked out. Dave then told me that the LR reeked w/ impatience and if the builder would have spent more time on each operstion, the price would have been higher.

The prices for quality MLers is pretty high nowadays so the buyers demand more quality. One thing also to consider.....many originals were used as everyday tools whereas most modern MLers are used sparingly or are just considered things of beauty....Fred

When unknowing people see my first build they proclaim "that's a work of art", boy are they ever wrong!

It is chunky, poorly inletted, relief carving that looks like a 6 year old did it and a host of other problems.

Its saving grace is I can beat it up in the woods and the dings don't matter. I have hunted with it so much it now has the light areas in the wrist and forestock where I have carried it, just like one sees in the old originals. The brass has a deep patina except for the rear entry pipe which has been shined to a mirror finish by my hand.

Once I found out what it liked it will cloverleaf at 100 yards and has put at least a dozen deer in the freezer in the last 5 or 6 years.

Ugly doesn't matter if it is "your" gun and it performs well for you.

My somewhat ugly first gun, except for being a poorly executed build it performs like a dream.

vfA846O.jpg

It is chunky, poorly inletted, relief carving that looks like a 6 year old did it and a host of other problems.

If a gun doesn't have it's own personality and character it should be made into a lamp stand. Even my unmentionables have something done to them that makes them 'mine'.

The first one I made (a 45 flint pistol) is ugly as sin. But it fits my hand like a glove. It doesn't have to look good to shot good.

Mark (frenchie)

Back