• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot in 20 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys
I’m looking to try some buckshot in my 20 ga fowling piece. Bore mics at .615. I’m wondering what you all have found fits nicely in your .62’s? I’m thinking .300 or maybe .283. I don’t have any buck shells to cannibalize so I’m hoping to find out what’ll chamber well before ordering.

Hey guys
I’m looking to try some buckshot in my 20 ga fowling piece. Bore mics at .615. I’m wondering what you all have found fits nicely in your .62’s? I’m thinking .300 or maybe .283. I don’t have any buck shells to cannibalize so I’m hoping to find out what’ll chamber well before ordering.

The standard load in 20 gauge unmentionables has always been #3 buckshot.
That iz probably the largest size that will “ stack well” in a load.

Hey guys
I’m looking to try some buckshot in my 20 ga fowling piece. Bore mics at .615. I’m wondering what you all have found fits nicely in your .62’s? I’m thinking .300 or maybe .283.
My bore mics the same, and I've had good results using .285" balls. I didn't worry about how they stacked, just shot what I had.

In my experience there was a very big difference between loading the buck over or under the ball. Buck under the ball consistently worked very well, buck over the ball was generally unacceptable.

Spence

I tried some .310 balls from my squirrel rifle as buckshot in my 20 gauge. Loaded from 9 to 12 balls per shot for testing. Results were very poor. Had some large pieces of poster board, 18"×24", and at 10 yards was lucky to have a few balls hit by random chance. Didn't matter what loading procedure, number of balls, powder charge or wadding, the results were dismal. The max number of hits i got with any load was 5, again at only 10 yards. I would guess smaller buckshot would pattern better.

Saw in a book I have , about a way old timers used to tighten up their buck shot pattern. They would somehow string buck shot together . When fired , the stringing would generate a far better pattern. Guess I'll go to Walmart and buy some buck shot size split shot and test this out.

The big issue that I have found with buckshot, is you need more wadding than with bird shot. If you try and get away with minimal wadding, it wraps around the large shot, and once the seal blows like that, patterns are horrendous.

.310" is about as big as will stack in 2's. There is no hard and fast rule that it has to stack. There is nothing stopping you from trying 00, or even 000, and seeing what happens. 2 buck will stack in 3's. 3 buck will stack in 4's. 4 buck will stack in loose 4's.

The big issue that I have found with buckshot, is you need more wadding than with bird shot. If you try and get away with minimal wadding, it wraps around the large shot, and once the seal blows like that, patterns are horrendous.
You could probably use some sort of buffer, poor a little down as a base then shot then more buffer to fill in the spaces and keep the shot from distorting the wadding. Is there any traditional buffers?

You could probably use some sort of buffer, poor a little down as a base then shot then more buffer to fill in the spaces and keep the shot from distorting the wadding. Is there any traditional buffers?

Yes you can use buffer, but no it does not help prevent distorting the wad. The purpose of buffer is to maintain the round shape of the shot. In modern shotguns, buffer can make a huge difference. In cylinder bore muzzleloaders, the jury is still out for me. I've never seen buffer hurt patterns though.

Now in my pressure testing modern shotguns, buffer raises pressures dramatically. I can only assume this would be true of a muzzleloader as well. Since our loads are usually very low pressure, it should not be an issue. I would not, however, take a 20 gauge, dump 2 ounces worth of buckshot down the tube on top of a hefty powder charge, and then buffer it. I wouldn't launch 2 ounces from a 20 gauge regardless, although people sometimes do it.

I really doubt there is a traditional buffer. In modern shotguns, most buffers involve plastic. Plenty of people use cream of wheat as buffer, and that would be more appropriate for a muzzleloader. Maybe grits would work too. You DO NOT want to use flour, or any other super fine and dense powder. It is extremely dangerous to do so.

The way to buffer a muzzleloading shotgun load is to pour your powder, and ram down your over powder wads. Then run a thin card wad down 2"-3". Next pour your shot in. At this point you can add buffer. It is a real PITA slow going with small birdshot, but it can be done. With buckshot, it is very easy. I like to add some buffer, then knock my knuckle on the side of the barrel to settle the buffer. Then repeat until the shot is fully filled and covered in buffer. You want the buffer between the shot, not mixed in with it. You want to knock on the barrel, such that the shot does not move, only the buffer does.

Now here is an important tip. Ram the shot down before you add an overshot card. I don't know exactly why, but if you add an overshot card first, it can be extremely difficult to seat onto the powder. This is not a method of loading you want to do all day, but if it tightens your buckshot pattern for deer, it is worth it. I like to swab the barrel between shots when loading this way, as it can be difficult to seat if the barrel is fouled.

One more buckshot tip. If you are using shot that is a tight fit, and not using buffer when stacking, say .310" balls in this .615" bore 20 gauge, I like to pour powder, then ram down all my over powder wads. Next I'll add shot by how many fit in a layer. In this example, 2 fit in a layer. I'll drop 2 down, then lightly tap them with my ramrod to make sure they are seated square. Don't jam it, just gentle 3" drop taps from the ramrod. Then repeat until I have as much shot as I want in there, and follow with an overshot card.

Call me stupid by all means but how about one or even two .600somert" balls?

It would depend on where you are hunting. If you are hunting somewhere buckshot was legally required, often two or three ball loads are not allowed. If you were hunting a thick swamp, you would want a buckshot pattern, which a double ball load would not provide. If you were hunting a highly populated area, and were worried about ricochet's, smaller buckshot would be far superior.

Otherwise, two and three ball loads can be fun and effective.

Latest posts

Back