• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck and Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave McNew

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on proper load for buck and ball for a 62 cal.? I have heard so many conflicting ideas, ball before shot, visa-versa, patches, wads, etc. Any good tests I can reference? Thanks, Dave

Dave,don't know if this is any help, but when I was a little boy I used to hang around 2 old Civil War soldiers, who did considerable reminiscing. They were both veterans of the Army of No. Va., namely the 39th and 42nd Cavalry. I overheard a conversation in which they talked about the fact that early in the war, some Alabama troops were using smooth bore muskets and shooting buck and ball. I asked them what buck and ball was and they replied that it was a paper cartridge with a round ball and 3 buckshots loaded IN FRONT of the round ball. They would tear the cartdige, pour the powder down the barrel and ram the paper and ball and buckshot, all together, down in front of it. The gist of their conversation was that this outfit was really deadly early in the war, but that the smoothbores were soon replaced by battlefield pickups, as the ranges became longer with experience.

Hope this helps.

The Civil War seen extensive use of buck and ball, pictured is an origional configuration (the powder section was ripped off) but the projectiles are still wrapped...
bbpaper.jpg

Below is a full buck and ball charge, still wrapped...
69_Cal_buck_and_ball_2.jpg

wbuckbal1.jpg

A .715 round ball and three 00-buck over 80 grains of FFg should do well for starters...

Three .32 caliber round balls can also be used instead of the harder 00-buck shot...

Latest posts

Back