• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brushing out the GPR patent breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenjoytj

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The Lyman manual says to use a 38 caliber brush to clean out the sub bore size chamber hole in the patent breech.
Has any one with GPR used this size brush to clean out this hole? I just want know if that is the correct size brush based on experience cleaning this area.
I have not found an Internet store that has a 38 cal bush with 10-32 size threads on the shank and built with the loop style.
I realy didn't want use an 8-32 brush and mess with a thread size adapter.
Totw doesn't have a .38 x 10-32 brush.

I've used .32cal x 10/32" ML bore brushes with a patch wrapped around them for years...

.36cal x .10/32" should work just fine too.

I use a 1/4" diameter by 36" wood dowel from the hardward store. Round the end a little and cut a slot with a hacksaw. Use a small piece of patch. Put it in and pull it out with a twisting motion. The patch won't come off - at least it hasn't for me in hundreds of uses.

BreechPlugCleaner.jpg

.36 caliber jags and bore brushes are actually used in revolvers that use .375" diameter lead balls, and for all purposes are ".38 caliber". You should be able to find a ."36"caliber bore brush with a 10-32 thread size on the shank. :thumbsup:

Just to set your mind at ease- or drive you to drink? :shocked2: :blah: --- a ."38 caliber modern revolver bullet actually has a diameter of .358". That is why those .36 caliber bore brushes will work in your ".38". :youcrazy: :haha: :hatsoff:

When making up a new ramrod I put tips on both ends, one threaded 8x32 and one 10x32.

In recent years I've taken to using old scruffed up 22 cal and 24 cal brushes with a patch wrapped around them. Just twist them as they go into the breech. Seems to do a better job than the brush alone, and besides- You're still going to have to get a patch in there after using the 35-38 cal brush.

There's a mole hill hiding under that mountain! :rotf:

I am babysitting a .54cal GPR right now and one of the main reasons I don't shoot it is the ridiculous chamber idea. It is a right royal PITA in opinion.

Funny how we differ so much on the little things Jeffin. I love my .54 GPR flinter. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Fast lock, great trigger. That chamber never has bothered me a bit.

I agree. I remove the nipple and immerse the breech in a bucket of soapy water and plunge the barrel thoroughly with a patched jag on a rod. Move to clean water and repeat.

My next move is to slip the 22 brush and patch into the breech and twist. It almost always comes out clean after the plunging.

From there it's a matter of drying and oiling the barrel and breech with the help of that brush/patch.

About the easiest to clean ML I own. Even with flush breeches, I still have to use a scraper, then a patch to get the border clean. And those almost come out dirty after the plunging.

yep, i've used a 38 cal brush, it works pretty good. Mountain State Manufacturing makes a breech brush that gets down in there pretty good too. it's part #302022. but nothing beats a good old cleaning with hot water & dawn dish soap. :thumbsup:

Is this a flint or a percussion GPR? In either case remove the vent liner or the nipple and flush warm water through it with several pretty good strokes and the “patent breech” area will be clean. :thumbsup:
I seldom use a brush on my GPR's or TC's. I also use a bore light to make sure they are clean. It may well be that the ones that don't remove the touch hole liner are the ones that have problems with the “patent breech” guns. :idunno:
The simple matter of fact is the “patent breech” is no problem and if it is, it is probably you, not the gun!
I won't argue as to whether it is better, however. :hmm:

My personal experiences with today's design of what are usually called patent breeches has always been 100% outstanding.
So much so that when I decided to get some long guns, I had their breechplugs made with the internal patent breech design.
Mine have always been fast, self-cleaning, 100% reliable due to no fouling build-up, don't own a vent pick...just load and shoot.

roundball said:
My personal experiences with today's design of what are usually called patent breeches has always been 100% outstanding.
So much so that when I decided to get some long guns, I had their breechplugs made with the internal patent breech design.
Mine have always been fast, self-cleaning, 100% reliable due to no fouling build-up, don't own a vent pick...just load and shoot.

"Watching over your shoulder" as you went through the builds over the leat couple of years, I always kind of wondered about your choice of breeches. I've not been particularly fond of "traditional" flat-faced breeches and using scrapers to clean them.

Which make of breech did you go with, BTW?

Thanks for the details.

They were all made from scratch by a Custom Breeching shop recommended to me TOW.
Google Dennis McCandless, Custom Breeching, Los Cruces, NM, and check out his web site.

Sent 4 new Rice barrels for him to breech before shipping them to TVM for the builds.
And have had him replace the flat breeches on 2 pre-owned GM barrels on a .45cal Dickert and a .40cal Late Lancaster.

He's built long guns and pistols...when I got that like new .40cal Late Lancaster back from him a couple months ago, he'd also slotted the tenons and elongated the slots in the barrel bed too.

I know we're 15 posts into this now, but I've never brushed or scraped a breech on a TC, Investarms, Lyman or GM barrel,,
And never had any trouble with fouling :idunno: .

Oh I have I guess, but it's always been from storage oils not being cleaned out well enough.
I've always used the soapy water/bucket/pump method of cleaning if that has anything to do with it?

necchi said:
I know we're 15 posts into this now, but I've never brushed or scraped a breech on a TC, Investarms, Lyman or GM barrel,,
And never had any trouble with fouling

Prob'ly cuzz you're already doing a good job of plunging the barrels. I rarely see it if I do a good job of plunging. For me the brush/patch comes into serious play for drying and oiling the inside of the breech after cleaning. Scrapers are for conventional breeches rather than patent unless the scraper was reshaped to conform to the patent breech. Never tried it.

Thanks for the stick idea, I've made up a 3/8" dia. dowel (for strength) cut a slit and filed the end down to fit the chamber with aprox 1/2 a patch just sticking out the end of the dowel about 1/8".
The stick and patch system works well.

Latest posts

Back