• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakota

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am browning the barrel on a Plains pistol kit.m doing it in a humid bathroom with the door closed and heater on. The barrel is starting to take on a nice brown with only two coats. The other parts however(belt hook,end cap,tang, under rib and eustacheons), all look as though they are being blued. This is my first attempt at browning and I am using LMF Browning solution. Any idea where I am going wrong???

Thanks,

Scott.

One thing I forgot to mention-the barrel is hanging from the ceiling, and the small parts were lying on a newspaper-they are now hanging from the ceiling as well. Could the solution be reacting with the newspaper ink?

Scott.

Sometimes it will turn blue with the first few coats. Just keep trying and it should eventually turn brown.

lakota,
I just finished my GPR .54 flint kit, which I browned with LMF. I use wax paper to lay the smaller parts on. Like bioprof said about those parts that look almost blued, keep browning. Some took four coats before it would turn to brown. If all else fails, you could always sand it back to bright metal and start over. Hang in there :thumbsup: .

Lakota,

Your barrel is made from different steel than your other parts. Different types of steel will take longer to brown than other steels.

Randy Hedden

Thanks for the replies. Finaly, everything is slowly but surely begining to turn brown after three coats. The other parts have away to go before they reach the level of brown that the barrle has attained though.

Thanks again,
Scott.

small jobs like pistole i do in an oven i put water in a pan and the parts i nanother pan and set the temp for 180 this will create a nice humid climate after it gets humid i turn the oven to 120 coat my parts with lmf or -- and place in the oven and follow the instructions on the bottle -after said time i card re coat and return to oven always does a great job but i started useing dixie gun works cold brown works better than lmf cost about half and never get any copper color. :thumbsup:

two-bellys said:
small jobs like pistole i do in an oven i put water in a pan and the parts i nanother pan and set the temp for 180 this will create a nice humid climate after it gets humid i turn the oven to 120 coat my parts with lmf or -- and place in the oven and follow the instructions on the bottle -after said time i card re coat and return to oven always does a great job but i started useing dixie gun works cold brown works better than lmf cost about half and never get any copper color. :thumbsup:

The only way that I would use the oven for such a thing is if I wasn't married or no longer wanted to be! :shake: :shake:

sneezy (the coward)

Back