• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guy I know acquired a very good shape BMR, in .50. It according to him was made in the 70s during the mountain rifle craze. It's 4xx out of 1000.

I can't find any information on this rifle. I would appreciate any info so I can pass it along.

I always liked them. Parts are now near impossible to find especially for the lock and single set trigger.

Here are a few links to things written about the Browning rifle on the forum

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pics-of-new-jb-mountain-rifle.75366/#post-941262

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/browning-mountain-rifle.64031/#post-777194

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/johnathan-browning-hawken.50807/

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/browning-hawken.24359/#post-264591

Use the forum "Advanced Search" method and put "Browning Mountain Rifle" into the search box. Be sure to include the quote marks so the search is limited to only that exact set of wording. I got 9 pages of links to hundreds of posts made that contained this phrase.

I seem to recall, the early production rifles were quite well made but the late production guns had some problems with the fitting of the parts with the stock.

The biggest problem with them is parts for the lock are hard to find.

I have one of the Browning Mountain Rifles. It is a 50 caliber with iron hardware. Its a very accurate rifle. Mine liked 0.500" round ball with 0.017" cotton drill patches lubricated with spit, pushed out by 80 grains of 2fg Goex. The single set trigger can take a bit to get used to. Push the trigger forward to set.

Some additional info. was written by Toby Bridges in Feb., 2017 on his ML-Collecting page.
A source told him that the Browning Mountain Rifle barrels were made by the old Green River Rifle Barrel Company.
And he speculated that there may have been close to 10,000 of the rifles made.

P1280708-b.JPG

Last edited:
His was the commemrorative model of Browning, had the medal on the side where a patch box would have been. A thousand of those were made, according to him. Nice wood, very fine looking gun with pewter fore end cap, and maybe trigger guard, I can't remember.

I had one for a few years. Well made, deep groove barrel, "live" browning as it would rust at the drop of moisture two counties over. Accurate. Only problem was that the single set trigger would not stay adjusted. I replaced it with a double lever double set trigger and never looked back. Paid $400 in about 1979 or 80 for it new.

Bought one a few years back and just never got on with it. Mine was iron furnished and 50 cal. Not accuracy worth telling. Heavy and kinda clunky is what my memory says.

I much prefer the GPR to the Browning. Lighter, perfect pointer and way cheaper. Have had 2 and my son and my soninlaw have them both.

Others swear by the Browning. Shows to go ya ... different strokes fer different folks

Bought one a few years back and just never got on with it. Mine was iron furnished and 50 cal. Not accuracy worth telling. Heavy and kinda clunky is what my memory says.

I much prefer the GPR to the Browning. Lighter, perfect pointer and way cheaper. Have had 2 and my son and my soninlaw have them both.

Others swear by the Browning. Shows to go ya ... different strokes fer different folks

That pretty well wraps up my experience too. Looked great and shot well, but the one I had for a while just never tooted my whistle in the handling department. A bud has one in 54 cal, and that one suits me a little better due to less steel out front, but it's still awfully heavy and clunky to me, for what feels like too much wood in the build. I dumped mine to a buddy who just had to have it, rather than "ruining" it by going at it with my woodworking tools to bring the stock down into what I saw as better proportions. My gun, my tastes, and my sale.

I have an iron mounted .50 caliber that I felt was way too heavy, so I sent the barrel to Bobby Hoyt, had it bored out to .58 with a slow twist for round balls. Now the gun is much lighter, though still on the heavy side, but boy does it shoot. I like the single set trigger, especially for hunting, cause there is plenty of room in the trigger guard for gloved fingers.

I also have a .50 cal Browning Mountain Rifle that I purchased new, back in the early 80s. I shot my first possible with it. The rifle has a very even, pebble brown, rust finish than looks pretty sharp. The ramrod is totally cosmetic. The rifle is a little front heavy, but it make a really good standing off-hand gun, as it is very stable. The stock is a little short for anybody over 6' tall. As someone above stated, the bore will rust if not kept generously oiled. It is surprisingly accurate out to about 150 yards. Mine shoots best with an Ox-Yoke .20 patch under a Speer .495 ball, using Hoppes#9 black powder solvent as a patch lube. (damp, not wet). This rifle definitely does NOT like 3f powder, but will shoot Goex 2f or Swiss 1.5 pretty well. It will shoot accurately with as little a 30 grains of powder for short range 25 yard targets, or as much as 85 grains for 150 yard targets. From a mechanical perspective, I have had to replace the main lock spring once and the sear spring once. I was fortunate enough to find two lock springs from a dealer on the East coast a couple of years ago. L&R Lock was able to provide a sear spring that "pretty close". A little file work and it dropped right in. I have seen these rifles for sale used, (not that great of shape), for over $700 here in the "People Democratic Republic of Kalifornia". In the real world they are worth $400 if they are in anything close to good shape. We are giving one away in a drawing for a six month shooters challenge metallic silhouette contest I run in Socal.

One of my Dealers up here has a limited edition 50cal Browning rifle for sale. It comes with a wooden box and the wood work is Beautiful. He is asking $2400. for it new. Must have rocks for Brains. Been sitting on his rack for years.

Bought a .50 BMR and was disappointed w/ the wrist architecture and it was way too heavy for toting all day in the Rockies. Couldn't get a .54 which might have been better. My son mainly used it and didn't like it either. Finally sold it after 3 yrs......Fred

His was the commemrorative model of Browning, had the medal on the side where a patch box would have been. A thousand of those were made, according to him. Nice wood, very fine looking gun with pewter fore end cap, and maybe trigger guard, I can't remember.

I bought one years ago. It came with an engraved powder horn, but the serial number was different. I sold the gun but saved the horn. Will have to get it out and put it up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are nice looking rifles.

I wanted one, then I became older, a Radio Fly Wagon would be a necessity to haul it around, then parts are hard to find for the rifle and the wagon.

Now all I can do I look at pictures and remember when and if. Moved onto pistols.

Enjoy and shoot while you can.

I have a .50 brass BMR with a brass patch box from the factory...purchased new in mid '80's. Never shot it. Beautiful rifle and may never sell it. Got to shoot it someday !

Here is the story, true or not, that came from the person talking to to the Browning Arms executive and why the Browning muzzleloader ceased to exist. This executive ask this ol' muzzleloading sour dough guy that was at Morgan, Utah at their office there, and ask what it was going to take to to stay in the market of muzzleloaders. He said nothing, just handed him one of his custom made Hawkens. The exe. said we can't make quality like this. It is custom made! The ol' muzzleloading boy said, "Then get out of the muzzleloading business". "Everyone else can with a kit". So ended the Browning Muzzleloader.

Back