• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Reproduction ID Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got this Bess and have not seen these markings before. The are on the left side of the barrel close to the breech.

Your help is appreciated

take care

jpc
000_0003_00-2.jpg
[/img]
000_0001_00-2.jpg
[/img]

AH! You have honorable Japanese Bess, made by Miroku of Japan, also makers of barrels for noteable Browning shotguns.!

Note the symbol next to the numbers, the trigger guard is not round but oval as though it was once round but got banged and the shape was changed, and the lack of sling swivel holes. Also, lock will be marked TOWER, not "Grice" as with Italian Bess

LD

"AH! You have honorable Japanese Bess, made by Miroku of Japan, also makers of barrels for noteable Browning shotguns.! "

Thank you very much--I was stumped ☺☺☺

Sure do appreciate your help and take care

jpc

I had a couple of these years ago and kick myself for selling them.People are starting to see these as better than the Italians

A few are starting to surface again down here as well and they are fine shooters and comp. muskets for musket matches :)

Most smoothbores have relatively thin barrels compared to rifles. The Miroku barrels are good though. Good shooters.

BTW, the reason that the Japanese Bess's are easy to spot is the "squashed" trigger guard. The story is that someone shipped an original Bess to Miroku for them to copy. It was damaged in transit and arrived with a bent trigger guard. They copied it exactly down to the bent trigger guard.

Many Klatch

It wasn't damaged in transit, just a soft brass trigger guard that had, indeed, been somewhat flattened by being banged in use and, yes, copied exactly.

Reminds me of a part a "transplanted" German machinist here was told to exactly duplicate for a certain program. He did, right down to the tool marks on the reproduction. Suffice it to say no-one else could tell which was which. "You said 'exactly'" was the response, "but I can tell the difference!"

Back