• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

broke the front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, i'm gonna leave out the details cause if i keep thinking about it someone is going to get a beating, but lets say my rifle took a fall and broke the front sight. It is a CVA Hawken .50, so nothing like some of the higher grade guns, and not much compared to my GPR, but it was my first and it is fun to shoot, even if it is ugly as sin. Anyway, back to the topic. The front sight is chipped at the rear edge, and the rear seems to be off center also. I have thought about replacing the sights in the past, but it was a matter of if it aint broke, dont fix it. Well, it's broke. Are there any sights yall recommend? As a temp fix, i took a dremel to it so i have a flat surface to work with on the front. Figure i'll see what i can do with the rear next time i go shoot it. But like i said, it is a temp fix. I have been thinking about getting a fixed rear for it, and now it seems i might need a new front as well. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. The front is dovetailed in, the rear is a combination of a lousy screw and JB weld--no dovetail. Fire when ready, gentlemen.
Paul

Well I am certainly not the one to ask ... but I would think it would be quick work to make one out of most any material, or you can buy them inexpensively all day long at Track Of the Wolf or other Muzzleloading supply houses. Of course you SHOULD shoot it first as is.. it may work fine! You will not know until you do! :thumbsup:

Davy

you can get new front sites from track of the wolf and dixie, they both have a good selection.
a new back site can be had same way, not a lot of money, but money just the same.
I think you can also buy site sets that will be close to a match height wise.
I have replaced mine before, not a hard job but does take time.
If memory serves me right, the cva uses a .350 dovetail up front and the rear is a screw mount specific to the barrel flats.

sorryto hear of your misfortune,

Brett

For the rear sight I'd consider plugging the screw holes and cutting a dovetail. you can run machine screws in and JB them in place, then upset them and file flush.
For the front sight, look in Track. This is an opportunity!

downside with just plugging the screw holes is that they arent just screw holes. The rifle came with an adjustable rear sight and the sight fits into a notch that is a small rectangle cut into the top of the barrel. It isnt deep, but if i remember correctly, it is a bit on the long side, longer than most dovetails i've seen. Might not be as large as i think i remember, but i should go shoot it first in case it still works ok, instead of breaking the sight off and trying to replace it before i know. The sight was cut wrong and the only way i could come up with at the time was to hold it on with JB Weld. Guess this is telling me i should have done it right the first time around. We dont get a second chance all that often, do we?

If yours is like mine, You really have no big problem. I think mine measured 1/16" deep.
I have had two less than succesful attempts at making a new front sight for mine(at the point of fitting, it is easy to take a shade too much off).
That just ticks me off and reinforces my determination to get it right next time.
It would be no big thing to file out a base from 1/16" stock to fill and then cut new dovetails at a different location.Or you could probably make a new sight to fit the existing dovetail.
As I understnd it "store bought " Sites are made slightly oversize so you can file to fit your dovetails. Just get the"CAN DO"attitude and go for it! Worst that could happen is you add an ounce or two to the scrap bucket. :grin:

Considering that this gun was bought as a kit, and it has been my ongoing experiment/learning gun for the last few years, you are absolutely correct. No matter what, i either get a fixed gun, or that much more experience to be able to do it better next time. It isnt that i dont think i can get it done, it's more of a everytime i look at it, i remember how it was broken and have to walk away for a few minutes and do something else to get my mind back to the task at hand. It shot like a POS for a couple years, and just got to shooting decent over the last year or so, and now i have to fix something else again. Oh yeah, like you said, experience and a good attitude. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement from everyone. This will be done, and i think it's getting fixed sights like it should have had to begin with this time around.

On steel front sights, I file a step in the blade's back surface and solder in an oversize piece of silver for better visibility. The insert is then filed flush and the face is given a 30 degree angle for better light reflection. This same thing could be done w/ a brass blade either using a piece of silver or brass and would eliminate the need for a new front sight.....Fred

good idea. Hadnt thought of that. Here is another reason i wanna replace the sights instead of fixing what i have now. In a moment of stupidity and frustration some time back, and unable to make the sights stay where they should, i JB welded both sights in place. I figure it is about time to do it right, and since this happened, it gives e the excuse to go back over the gun and do a few things, starting with replacing the sights, maybe refinish the stock, and who knows what else by the time i'm done.

And by the way, i went and shot the gun before deciding to replace the sights. All over the place. I'm talking more accurate NOT using the sights than using them. So that makes it that much easier to take these off and play with what to replace them with.

Back