• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breeching a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbullard1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 30 inch I/C 12 guage barrel I want to breech and convert to a flinter. How can I go about this? If I cut the chamber off I will be left with about a 27 inch barrel. Do I need to forget this and buy a barrel?

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure it can be done without using an engine lathe. I'm sure someone else can shed more light on the subject than I can.

It seems to me some time back there was an extensive thread on converting supository shotguns to muzzleloaders on the ALR site. It would take a search in the archives to find it.
I remember that it was the first time I had heard the term Supository used in reference to firearms, so that might be a good trm to use in the search?
I'm guessing one would need to cut off a portion of the chamber and thread for a plug. If the barrel is in good condition I can think of no reason it could not be done.

Get a copy of Brockways book on recreating muzzleloading shotguns. This is something that is covered extensively here. In short, you do not want to cut off the chamber since you will be running the tap directly into it for the threading operation. Also, most original plugs were very short, Brockway pretty much doubles the length of the plugs in his barrel for a couple reasons. Since chamber diameters varied considerably it is possible that you won't have full thread engagement, possibly only 50%. By doubling the length of the plug you can correct for this by bringing the thread engagement back closer to what it would be if you had full engagement on a shorter length plug.

Back