• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am on my first build and I have been working on fitting the breech plug. I have been filing and checking for some time now, whenever I had some free time. I was almost to where I needed to be.(So Close!) Then this last time I ran it in and started to back it out so I could check the face and half way out all of a sudden I felt some heavy resistance.
When i got it out there were some metal shavings which hasn't happened until now. And now I can only run it in about half way before i hit some heavy resistance again. When I say heavy resistance I mean it won't turn unless some major force is exerted. I don't want to force it so I have come here for some sage advice.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like gaulding. Running dry parts,(in and out) without any lubrication, can be a problem. Sounds like you need to run a tap into the breech, to clean it up. Also, need to check treads on the plug.

You can try oiling the threads good, and turn the plug in, until you feel some resistance, then using a mallet or block of wood, give the plug some hits (while slowing turning the plug)to mate the threads. You will need someone to help, or a way to secure the barrel.

When i got it out there were some metal shavings which hasn't happened until now.

Sounds like a cross thread.

It sounds like the lead thread on the plug may have collapsed. Those thread surfaces can be rough. It sounds like something was in a bind, gave way and crossed. This could happen especially it the lead thread on the plug was damaged from filing. The shavings likely were the remains of the threads. Hopefully they are off the plug as that is the cheapest part.

This is impossible to diagnose online. What I might do personally, I do not have clue as the parts are not in front of me and there is not just visual but feel which is impossible to describe.

Since breech fit is so critical and is a safety issue, This is what I suggest.

Stop.... do nothing. Send the barrel and plug off to be professionally installed. Be prepared for having the barrel drilled and tapped for a larger thread. Worse case would be having the barrel shortened and rethreaded for a new plug.

Installing your own plug is not beyond the capabilities of anyone that has "some" mechanical ability.

BUT you have to remember the barrel is made by someone different then who made the plug so there can be minute differences between what 5/8-18 (of whatever) means to one builder compared to another.

Because of that it is always worth the added expense of a tap and die (from the same tool making company) just to make sure that the breech and the plug will mate without issue.

And, always some form of lube - even if it's just candle wax is in order when timing in the plug.

I use anti-seize, others use moly-lube or a variety of other compounds.

If you are lucky you have not hurt anything and just have "manure" in the threads.

If you are "sorta" lucky maybe you have just toasted the threads on a "somewhat inexpensive" breech plug.

If you often trip and scrape off skin while carrying a horseshoe adorned with four-leaf clovers, my may have jiggered the threads in the breech :)

Clean everything up, inspect the threads (on both parts) closely and try and determine where the issue is and decide your next step from there.

54ball said:
Since breech fit is so critical and is a safety issue, This is what I suggest.

Stop.... do nothing. Send the barrel and plug off to be professionally installed. Be prepared for having the barrel drilled and tapped for a larger thread. Worse case would be having the barrel shortened and rethreaded for a new plug.

Yes, at least have someone look at it before you do anything else

William Alexander

My first too,same thing happened.It appears to me that the sharp rifling had damaged the plug wich then was difficult to remove and damaged.The barrel threads were fine and I ordered a new plug-10 bucks.

IF...... you are going to continue with it, you need a Bottom Tap to run into it & clean out the manure.

Sounds like the threads gaulded & pulled metal.

Allot of guy tap these breeches & don't run a bottom tap, thus you have a tight fit at the breechplug
face when it gets to the bore. So to use as it was sent to you, sometimes it requires relieving some metal
on the breechplug when the threads run shallow against the bore, or finish tapping it.

Keith Lisle

Put Never-Seize on the threads IN the bore & on the breechplug. Get it fitted, then take it off where the
barrel meets the Tang on last assembly. Otherwise it will not brown near the joint.

Back