• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Snellen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I just sold some guns to get a gun. It's a Pedersoli Indian Trade musket. It is used but in good condition. When I shined my bore litght down the barrel, it looked like there was a hole in the plug. It has a vent liner and I can see the vent pick in there past this little ''cave".
Does this sound like a problem? Seems like it could be....certainly a cleanimg problem...
Any advise would be appreciated.
David

Sounds like whoever installed the touch hole liner had to drill across the face of the breechplug and that may be what you are seeing - if that's the case it should be fine but don't try to remove the plug without removing the liner first.

Thanks. I noticed the 'cave' is perfectly oval-rectangular. I haven't seen it before, but it looks like it was meant to be that way....?
David

Like the Traditions the vent liner and or bolster is tapped into the breech plug and the plug is bored into the firing chamber.

You are seeing a version of the patent breech. This is a chamber that sort of makes a re-igniton chamber for the powder. The sub bore chamber is supposed to provide for a more consistent explosion of the main charge. Yes, it can be prone to cleaning problems. A tight patched cleaning swab will push fowling into the chamber and also block the touch hole for subsequent loadings. On some Pedersoli muskets set up this way, the powder chamber can be too small for good ignition. Get a small brush such as a 22 or 30 caliber to clean the chamber. You also want a loose cleaning jag so the cleaning patch slides over the fouling and then bunches up to pull the fouling out of the barrel.

You gun is safe. Knowing how you breech is set up will help you to do the right things to keep it reliable and shooting.

Back