• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Shine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re saying that the accountraments and research of Jess Melot and Kit Ravensheer are not worthy as good references ? well, you’re not in the majority here.
That isn't what I said. I'm simply saying that they are still educated presumptions and should be regarded as such. A lot of researchers work, in many fields, has been proven less than accurate over time with further investigation and research.

I'm not saying anyone's conclusion or hypothesis is wrong. My problem is with how final and authoritative many make their statements.

And I have absolutely no problem not being in a majority.

If folks want to ponder on things which make no real sense or brings value, why not ponder why is the brush used to clean your teeth called a "tooth" brush when you have teeth? Surely there is documentation from the 1800's on why is there not?

I thought the question was whether those years ago kept the brass on their rifles "shiny new". Some may have, others may have not. I have read about folks who have inspected the bores on original rifles and found some in excellent shape- so I would think the frontiersmen took good care of the rifle's bore. On the "shiny brass" it seems almost impossible to answer because if someone did keep it that way- by now it would be tarnished. Someone would have to read an account written years ago of a person polishing up the hardware on his rifle. I think I recall reading once, in western Virginia in the late 1700's of a frontiersman coming into a trading post with a beautiful rifle, all shiny and new, I figured the shiny was due to being new- that's just my interpretation. A lot of this is very hard to document.

I guess I will chime in here. I have a background in military archaeology, so this is the sort of thing I think about.
A military person would be expected to keep their gear in good service, which included their brass. There is plenty of evidence of this, especially from period correspondence.
I have a lot more old books than most other people, and there is one in particular that should answer this if I can find it. I just looked in the likely room, but don't see it. I will keep looking.
In the mean time, I just looked at a bunch of art depicting frontiersmen and pioneers, painted more or less contemporaneously to the time portrayed. What I saw was reasonably shiny, which is what I expected.
The Japanese have always been the best source I know for traditional coloring and patination of metals. But even a well darkened piece will become shiny again with heavy handling.
I do not believe that it was typical to use the sort of darkening processes common in Japan because it requires a great deal of work, and some practical chemistry. If our frontiersmen did this, they would have mentioned it. It is no trivial matter.

I expect that the polish used would typically be a mix of flour and vinegar, with a bit of fine salt added if needed. It would then be oiled. Brass or silver on a gun might not be kept military clean in the field, but I cannot see anyone whose lifestyle relied on such an expensive object to allow it to corrode.

I thought the question was whether those years ago kept the brass on their rifles "shiny new". Some may have, others may have not. I have read about folks who have inspected the bores on original rifles and found some in excellent shape- so I would think the frontiersmen took good care of the rifle's bore. On the "shiny brass" it seems almost impossible to answer because if someone did keep it that way- by now it would be tarnished. Someone would have to read an account written years ago of a person polishing up the hardware on his rifle. I think I recall reading once, in western Virginia in the late 1700's of a frontiersman coming into a trading post with a beautiful rifle, all shiny and new, I figured the shiny was due to being new- that's just my interpretation. A lot of this is very hard to document.
The rifle probably cost as much as the homestead, it represented a considerable investment. Coupled with the fact that your life frequently depended on it, I can’t imagine it wasn’t lovingly cared for in it’s function. Cosmetics? rugged daily use probably took care of that, just a guess from the swamp …

Old rifles or muskets that were not polished regularly have a thick patina build up of tarnish that almost turns the brass black. If the rifle was kept covered with the last amount of exposure to the air, it would maintain its brass appearance, but not freshly polished. In regards to how it was done on the frontier, you have to thnk about what was available, most didn’t have access to some type of polish and would have simply used a slice of deer hide and some type of lubricant taken from an animal, beaver oil glands were prized as a type of protective wax that was applied to gunstocks and metal to prevent corrosion, known as beaver castoridae. A variety of dried clays in a cloth sack would be used as type of rosin polisher.

I’d highly recommend that anyone take a visit to the frontier museum in Virginia.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

Some interesting points. First, for a frontiersman, what would they use for polish? For military, I consider that a different thing, rifles kept in new shiny condition would make sense.

I agree. For years I wanted brass to naturally tarnish, but over past few years I think that a myth.
unless mirror bright brass won’t flash in the sun, and even then it’s hard to get the right angle.
Brass would stay popular past the WBTS, and in Federal era silver was not uncommon.
many SMR were mounted in silver
White coats were common, as was bright red. Our concepts of camouflage in the woods wasn’t so much seen in the old days.
I’ve taken to polishing my brass.
I polish. Can't help myself. Must be the result of basic training.

I polish. Can't help myself. Must be the result of basic training.

I was the guy who was required to polish the threshold of the bays with Brasso polishing cotton. Small job but man it will teach you to focus. I also slept next to the house mouse(Air Force thing) which meant I was always right next to the guy the TI spent his first two minutes looking at and talking to. I keep a can of that polishing cotton around, but it only sees my rifle brass every few years.

I claim NO knowledge of what was done 200+ years ago. But I can't help but think that when you fight wearing red uniforms or bright colors, shiny brass on a gun won't make a bit of difference.

The only brass I keep polished is on a couple of rifles that are decorative wall hangers. My "working guns" are obsessively taken care of and show it. But the brass is seldom (or never) polished on them. Lazy? Yes, so I HAVE TO like patina.

Latest posts

Back