• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stlnifr said:
I have a wooden one, a aluminum one, a brass one and a steel one.I think I might have to many for just one rifle.

Too many :shocked2: that is just not possible. In this game, he who dies with the mostest ml 'stuff', wins. :wink:
I must have 40 rods which are kept and carried in fishing rod cases.

Like I said I have four. I only use the one that came with the rifle. The other three I got because I decided I may need them in the future.

I have two ram rods for every rifle, one wood for cleaning between shot and one for loading, which is stainless steel. I also have some Delron ( please excuse the spelling ). They work well also, but I use 7/16 size for .50 cal and I like how they work. I don't care for the smaller ones, they are to flimsy and are hard to grip.

Michael

Here's why everyone should use a steel or heavy brass ramrod, like I NOW do. Broke this Renegade wood ramrod off into base of my thumb about 4 months ago. There was a whole lot of bleeding and just now have gotten the feeling back in my thumb. I replaced it with a good hickory rod from TOW, but just for show now. http://tinypic.com/m/k18k1s/1

Last edited by a moderator:
SgtMaj said:
Broke this Renegade wood ramrod off into base of my thumb about 4 months ago. There was a whole lot of bleeding,,
While it is said that improper handling while loading,,
(needing to use short strokes)
And/Or simply a bad rod with run-out is the cause of a broken ramrod.
I too received a nasty wound in my palm from a broken wood rod,
It's been over 25 yrs now,, I still have the scar in the palm of my right hand.

It was just an old rod, probably 25-plus years old. Stuff happens :doh:
And, I have a good, heavy 3-piece CVA lifetime brass range rod and a TOW steel one for my .58 3-band Enfield and my bench. They get all the workouts now. And I've found ... I'm never too old to learn a valuable lesson.

SgtMaj said:
It was just an old rod, probably 25-plus years old.
:haha:
Arrgg, it was a bone-head rookie move,,
But darn it! It Hurt! It's really hard to put a band-aid on your palm and make it stick and actually help!

necchi said:
SgtMaj said:
It was just an old rod, probably 25-plus years old.
:haha:
Arrgg, it was a bone-head rookie move,,
But darn it! It Hurt! It's really hard to put a band-aid on your palm and make it stick and actually help!
I was taught to use my fingers on the rod, not my palm. That gives some protection from an accidental discharge or a broken rod.

LongrifleDoc said:
I was taught to use my fingers on the rod, not my palm. That gives some protection from an accidental discharge or a broken rod.

Me too, also probably explains why I have broken a half dozen rods and never been skewered.

When I started this here ML stuff back in 1978, a greybeard said, "Never grab more 'an 6" t' 10"of rod. only do short strokes. Push until ya hit bottom, an' give 'er one good seatin' shove." Been doing it that way since. I only broke maybe 4-5 wood rod. All but one was the grain separating and looking like a knife blade. Since 1982 I've used a "Wonder Rod" as a range only rod. Same procedure, short stroke loading. One good seating push. NEVER had a problem. So I'll just keep doing it my way. Each to his own. Some kin get along with the Blackfeet. Others just lay there and decay. :rotf:

Back