• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I did the advanced search trying find the web sites for brass ramrods and didn't have much luck. What I'm looking for is replacement brass ramrods for 32" barrel 50 cal Lyman and a 28" barrel 54 cal Cabela's Hawkin. And do these ramrods come tapped with the same threads for the rifles mentioned above?

I've seen this topic before and any help is much appreciated. Sorry for the repeat topic.

Catof9tails

Thanks Rebel and Oldmaster. I should have jumped on those links the last time they were posted. Many thanks for the quick response.

Cat9

Catof9tails,

I can't remember if it's Cabelas or BassPro that sells a brass range/cleaning rod. I think it is Basspro. It's a three piece rod with an alloy handle. The threads for the jag are 10/32. They sell it in a kit that includes, patches, jag, cleaning solvent etc.

Old Salt

Kind of a dumb question :confused: :confused: I have a T/C Renegade with a .54 caliber 32" Green Mountain Barrel on it. I too want a brass ram rod for it. The ram rod is 33" long. Will the one listed at RMC Sports for the Lyman GPR fit the thimbles, or is the diameter different from gun to gun? :redface:

lakota said:
Kind of a dumb question :confused: :confused: I have a T/C Renegade with a .54 caliber 32" Green Mountain Barrel on it. I too want a brass ram rod for it. The ram rod is 33" long. Will the one listed at RMC Sports for the Lyman GPR fit the thimbles, or is the diameter different from gun to gun? :redface:
Different calibers usually dictate rod size...3/8" seems pretty common in the .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cals I have...I noticed that the .40cal I have coming is a 5/16".

October Country makes outstanding brass rods from stock...just give them the sizes and if you want solid or tubular.

They use a .060" thick wall diameter on their tubular brass rods, and they're strong as an Ox...ends are well pinned and finished off, and 1.5" on the end under the muzzle has a nice cross-hatch knurled area to get a good grip with your fingers...have several solid and tubular rods from them under my GM barrels and they've been excellent.

I've also got to endorse October country. I have two rods from them and they are great. I ordered several at once to cut down on the shipping cost. At the time they had a flat fee. Not sure if they still do that.

lakota said:

There used to be one listed for the Traditions Shenandoah. That brass one fits my Renegade with GM 32" barrel.

I don't wear it on the Renegade because it creates a much nose-heavier/unbalanced gun. I bought the black anodized one there at RMCSports for carrying purposes.

lakota said:

Call RMC and ask them. They very helpful in answering questions over the phone.

I got a brass rod for my Lyman GPR through the Log Cabin Shop. Work great.
[url] www.logcabinshop.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
You have been given ample sources for a brass rod, but I am curious why you do not use a stainless rod.

Are these available in a hollow version to cut weight?

I use one as a range rod with a bore guide and really like it.

Just a thought.

CS

CrackStock said:
Are these ( stainless ) available in a hollow version to cut weight?
FYI, you can also buy straight lengths of very strong fuel line at automotive parts stores...don't know if it's stainless or galvanized

I went with the brass instead of steel because it is softer than the barrel.

That and I just like the yellow brass color..... :thumbsup:

Legion

Jäger said:
I got a brass rod for my Lyman GPR through the Log Cabin Shop. Work great.
[url] www.logcabinshop.com[/url]
Somebody posted about a rattle with a brass rod.Have you noticed it with your GPR.I would kinda like to get one for my GPR and lose the black plastic space aged one I have on it.It works great but just dont look good with the gun.Its gotta be pretty out in the woods :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine sits snug in two different MLs. No rattles - just too much weight/inbalance. I use it for a 2nd range rod nowadays.

Legion,

Well, with a bore guide, it does not matter which is softer, but I believe that the stainless is also softer than most modern barrel steel. Am I wrong here?

I agree on the color.

RB,

Thanks for the tip on the fuel line. That might be a solution. I will look into that.

CS

Years ago I read somewhere that brass can "work harden" so that it becomes hard enough to wear a barrel at the muzzle. Sounds like a muzzle protector would be a good idea. I sometimes use a steel range rod, always with the muzzle protector. Good smoke, ron in FL

Well Wikipedia says the following:

Iron MPa(ultimate strength figure) = 350
Lead = 12
Nickel = 160 (avg.)
Brass = 250
Cast Iron A-48 = 200
Stainless Steel AISI 302 cold rolled = 860
Steel high tensile = 1860
Steel A-514 = 760
*Chrome molybdenum 4145 4150 = 965-1394
* figure from Ruger Co.

So... it would appear you are right :thumbsup: , unless your ramrod is made of high tensile steel it will be softer than the barrel (but not as soft as brass).

I still prefer the brass look unless using a military musket.... :grin:

Legion

Latest posts

Back