• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass or Steel .310 Round Ball Bag Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am looking for a brass or steel .310 round ball bag mold.. I have some old Sterling Silver candle sticks I would like to cast into round balls for a werewolf hunt in Transylvania. I realize most people would prefer a larger caliber, but experience has taught me that shot placement is everything. Seriously, I do want a mold of the type described.

PS. The hides are worth a fortune, but you have to skin them quick before they transmute back to human form after “harvesting” 😐

Last edited:
The .311" mold I cast with is a Lee aluminum mold. But in other calibers I have a steel bag mold and a brass mold - not a true "bag" mold, I suppose - that came from Jeff Tanner. The material doesn't make much difference in a bag mold but quality does.

I've been using Linotype on them, stays nice and shiny, looks like silver and they don't know the difference. I broke down and bought 200 .31 balls for my Colt 1849 over a buying mold for it because I don't shoot it very often. I prefer the .36 Navy for entertainment. YMMV
I did pick up 1000 swaged 310 hornadys at the beginning of the squirrel rifle project. I really do want to cast some in silver just as conversation pieces or maybe post apocalyptic currency. On that vein. I have been encouraging people to buy precious metal. LEAD. 😁

Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. As the world turns to Stoner platform rifles, debit cards and bit coin. The retro-rifle community could turn away from all that and do our own thing. Round balls cast in different calibers and different metals, could easily cover the full spectrum of financial exchange. I wonder, would 1 .69 caliher gold ball buy me a new Kibler Kit 🤔

Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. As the world turns to Stoner platform rifles, debit cards and bit coin. The retro-rifle community could turn away from all that and do our own thing. Round balls cast in different calibers and different metals, could easily cover the full spectrum of financial exchange. I wonder, would 1 .69 caliher gold ball buy me a new Kibler Kit 🤔
Now, that is an interesting idea!

I did some calculations. A .693 (14 gauge) lead ball would weigh exactly 500 grains, or 1.143 ounces. The specific gravity of lead is 11.34, while the specific gravity of gold is 19.3, about 1.702 times the weight of lead, or 70% heavier. So, if a .693" lead ball weighs 1.143 ounces, times 1.702 (the relative weight of gold), a .693" gold ball, in theory, would weigh 1.945 ounces. The price of gold, as of this morning, is $1,769.10 per ounce, therefore your .69 caliber gold round ball would be worth $3,441.58. The base price of a Colonial rifle kit from Mr. Kibler is listed as $1,050.00, with the Southern Mountain Rifle priced slightly higher at $1,075.

So, if you swap Jim a 69 caliber gold ball, you could probably get his Colonial rifle kit, his Southern rifle kit, and reserve one of his much-anticipated English fowler kits, and pay postage on all three. And have enough left to buy a six-pack to celebrate your trade.

We'll want to see pictures, of course. :thumb:

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I did some calculations. A .693 (14 gauge) lead ball would weigh exactly 500 grains, or 1.143 ounces. The specific gravity of lead is 11.34, while the specific gravity of gold is 19.3, about 1.702 times the weight of lead, or 70% heavier. So, if a .693" lead ball weighs 1.143 ounces, times 1.702 (the relative weight of gold), a .693" gold ball, in theory, would weigh 1.945 ounces. The price of gold, as of this morning, is $1,769.10 per ounce, therefore your .69 caliber gold round ball would be worth $3,441.58. The base price of a Colonial rifle kit from Mr. Kibler is listed as $1,050.00, with the Southern Mountain Rifle priced slightly higher at $1,075.

So, if you swap Jim a 69 caliber gold ball, you could probably get his Colonial rifle kit, his Southern rifle kit, and reserve one of his much-anticipated English fowler kits, and pay postage on all three. And have enough left to buy a six-pack to celebrate your trade.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Remember, gold is measured and sold in troy ounces (31 grams) instead of a regular oz. (28 grams) so you might need to reconfigure your calculations some....
:ghostly:

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks for doing all that math for me. Think a Southern Mountain Rifle in 40 cal. would thoroughly scratch my itch all by itself. Using your stats I can now calculate what caliber that gold ball would have to be for a close to even swap 😁👍. Springer

Back