• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brain tanning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
looking for a GOOD step by step (start to finish w/details) instructional dvd or book on the subject, if anyone would offer their opinion on their favorite source.
A dvd would be my preference. :wink:
Thanks!!

newtewsmoke said:
looking for a GOOD step by step (start to finish w/details) instructional dvd or book on the subject, if anyone would offer their opinion on their favorite source.
Thanks!!

Get the revised and updated second edition of "Deerskins into Buckskins" by Richards. The second edition of the book includes a extra step that results in consistently soft and supple brain tan that is missing from the first edition of the book. Price on mine says $19.95.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

you tube has allot of videos on it. There is a good series by a young fellow that goes from start to finish and all the steps between. Look under brain tanning and then videos by Tribeofbenjamin. I thought his videos were pretty good and explanatory.

Davidmc62 said:
you tube has allot of videos on it. There is a good series by a young fellow that goes from start to finish and all the steps between. Look under brain tanning and then videos by Tribeofbenjamin. I thought his videos were pretty good and explanatory.

I know him personally. He really knows his stuff.

Get the revised and updated second edition of "Deerskins into Buckskins" by Richards. The second edition of the book includes a extra step that results in consistently soft and supple brain tan that is missing from the first edition of the book. Price on mine says $19.95.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup: [/quote]

I'll agree with this recommendation. I'm also pretty sure the author has a website with even more info, including videos and forums where you can get actual advice. Well worth buying the book and visiting the site.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Guys!
I have a couple deer hides & maybe more on the way, just about ready to give it a try!
Might get a couple steps done and then freeze till warmer weather.??

twisted_1in66 said:
newtewsmoke said:
Thanks!!

Twisted_1in66 :

I have his book and the DVD is really great! :hatsoff:

newtewsmoke said:
Thanks Guys!
I have a couple deer hides & maybe more on the way, just about ready to give it a try!
Might get a couple steps done and then freeze till warmer weather.??

I don't think putting them in the freezer is a good idea, to me it seems like it would damage the hide.

I have put them in the freezer at several stages in the process from raw hides to after wet scraping and before braning and have never had a problem.

When I had to delay the tanning process (and thus couldn't hang onto the actual deer's brain) I wound up using those little cans of pig brains they sell in the supermarket for breakfast. Worked just fine. Took most of the store's stock, though.

I've never seen the DVD, but the book was very easy to follow and gave all the info needed. But I'm a big fan of good old solid non-electronic information storage (you should see my library!)

Bonus is you can pick a copy up cheap from Amazon and the like.

Back