• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bp safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(this may get moved because of mention of modern firearms)
My ml club has expanded it's repertoire of shooting activities to give our facilities more use and attract new, and younger, ml shooters. It's working but also is providing some interesting challenges. Yesterday, during our .22 silhouette match there was a pause and a discussion began with a new shooter, nice guy in early 20's. He mentioned an ml rifle blowing up at a match (elsewhere) he was visiting. I opined that most of these incidents involved the use of smokeless powder in an ml rifle. Young guy, not a novice shooter, asked "what's smokeless powder?" :shocked2: We explained but were shocked at his lack of knowledge. :doh: Maybe not his fault, but there is plenty of dangerous ignorance out there.

Rifleman1776 said:
...there is plenty of dangerous ignorance out there.

That's it in a nutshell. Had a young guy here who got all ginned up about fouling and misfires in his Traditions Hawken. Looking later (at the pieces), he drilled out the nipple to max diameter, then fired his normal 120 grain charge of 3f. Snapped the hammer off right at the thinnest part just below the head. Who knows where it went, but at least it didn't hit him or someone else, and he was wearing shooting glasses so he didn't blind himself.

But you oughta see the black tattoo on the right side of his forehead! :rotf: I'm betting his hair will grow back on that side of his head, but meanwhile his young buds are encouraging him to sue Traditions for building unsafe guns.

That's the trouble.... The dangerously ignorant are also lawyer prone.

Had a neighboring cousin pull some bullets from some 7mm Mag shells to use the powder in a 3rd Dragoon. Everything survived.
I gave him a pound of Goex and told not to do that anymore.

Most powder (BP and smokeless) is some shade of gray or black. We in the ML fraternity need to explain to novices that when we refer to black powder is has to do with the chemical make up and not just the color of the powder.

While that's a good idea, perhaps it's also wise to show where on the container to look, and the words they need to see, to know it's the proper powder.

For example, if they then take the phrase, "muzzle loading powder" to a store, they might be told, "we are out" because the clerk knows the Pyrodex is out of stock, but hasn't a clue that the Goex or other brand of Black Powder will work and is in stock.

Then you still have the same problem with the clerk who doesn't look hard at the container, and grabs modern powder because it was in a similar container to the stuff he was told was for muzzle loaders, and the novice still doesn't know how to double-check since we haven't shown him or her how to do that, eh?

It is the age of the cell phone folks, so maybe we should store a photo of a couple of different brands of black powder and black powder substitute to show this highly visually oriented new generation what we mean?

:idunno:

LD

The only way to fight ignorance is with knowledge. We have to keep on saying "Black Powder or Black Powder Substitute Only" Never quit.

wpjson said:
The only way to fight ignorance is with knowledge.
I agree.
However, the prevalence of myths, lies and anecdotes among members of the muzzleloading community makes it difficult. Novices get contradictory accounts, and not knowing the facts, make their own decisions...

But you know, when all is finally said and done, the only one you can look at is the fella standing in the mirror in the morning. Black scar on the forehead and all. He is responsible 99% of the time.

Doc

Or they take the advice of the store clerk. I was told when I bought my first ml that you could fill the bore with powder and not hurt anything. I was sold a tc brass measure 50-110 grains and tod 70 did good. Worked out you got 100 shots from a pound of powder so that's what I shot. Luckily our library had a good shooting ml book before I ever tried the fill the bore manure.
Now there is so much avalible on line,but likewise you tube is full of vids of ppl selling suicide advice.

wpjson said:
The only way to fight ignorance is with knowledge.

Agreed!....And we should never "dumb" it down for the ignorant either.... Self education is a personal responsibility, and there is no excuse for "phoning it in"
Anyone using a deadly weapon has the responsibility of using it correctly and safely..

Those that don't!...Jeopardize our freedoms.

The sad thing is that 99.9% of the store clerks no nothing about shooting Traditional Muzzleloader's or differences in BP and or substitutes. Even avid shooter's are few and far between when it comes to our cup of tea! People like us are the kind that goes out of our way to seek out that yerning that are deep within our souls. We are definitely a dieing breed. I would never trust a store clerk to give me sound advice concerning BP or appropriate substitutes.

A person has to be willing to do a little research on these types of guns prior to stepping foot in any kind of gun shop or store. Of course I'm talking about a perfect world with people who have a lick of common sense!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thank God.

We've had ups and downs. First Turner Kirkland & Dixie & then the Internet, but then the industry shifted and state regulations tightened.

Hopefully we'll swing back up again. Traditional M/L, especially flintlocks, have been off to one side since cartridges caught on but worth the chase.

Latest posts

Back