• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bowling ball mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgriz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I posted the story of the bowling ball mortar, I didn't know how to add a picture. Now that I've successfully posted one I'll try another. This is a picture of Bill's mortar lofting a 16 pound bowling ball, which you can see at the top of the photo. The hill in the back ground is the one the ball went over, and it was fired from right where the mortar is in the photo. We just changed directions on it for this picture. You can see the fence behind the mortar. That's the road where the car was parked that the ball hit after rolling all the way from the top of the hill. I didn't get a picture of the car, because he'd already moved it.
MORTAR1.jpg

Great Shot cowhand!

Now Ah'm a tellin ye, iffen we just pour in another ounce o powder, ye can make it all the way ta tha fence! :shocking: :shocking: :crackup:

There's 5 or 6 members of our club that have built those cannons, it's amazing how far they will shoot. At our yearly rondevoux they bring them out and have a shoot off.

Just got back from our rondy out here. They host a cannon and mortar shoot. Most everyone shoots the "beer can" mortars. The winning shot was 8.5 inches from the mark, at about 150 yards. Makes me want to get one...

Back