• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BORE BUTTON QUESTION

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproulman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i punch out my own bore buttons from insulation but dont know what to put on them.

you dont want them greasy and fairly hard.

anyone have idea what to put on them .

Felt insulation? Make sure it's pure wool felt. Most insulation felt is synthetic and will melt in your bore making a mess of it.
I lube my felt wads with beeswax/olive oil lube I make myself. It's about 60:40 oil to beeswax.

HD

yes, i use wool.

i am using a 1/2 inch punch for .50 cal, i think i should be using a bigger one.

what size do most use.

I use a 1/2 inch punch for .50 cal and a 9/16 inch punch for .54 cal.

Some use a larger than caliber wad like .54 cal in a .50 cal but 1/2 inch wads work fine for me in my .50.

HD

i noticed that the 1/2 punch ones are just a little smaller than ones i buy at RMC for .50 cal.

sproulman said:
i noticed that the 1/2 punch ones are just a little smaller than ones i buy at RMC for .50 cal.

True, but I have recovered wads I have shot and they have rifling grooves in them so I know they are working.

:thumbsup:

HD

Latest posts

Back