• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Book question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana918

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I being new to BP am making all my "stuff" (possibles, horns, hats, etc.) and have been surfing the site heavily. I find that folks commonly reference "sibley's book". Could someone please elaborate on the title and a source to obtain said book? And a nod to all those crafts folk out there, looks great. Hope you had as much fun as I am making stuff.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

the book you mentioned is recreating the 18th century powder horn sold by track of the wolf. good book i used it to make a carved fish mouth style horn this spring. they also sell one by our fellow member TC Albert on recreating the 18th century shooting pouch. both are good books. they are along the same lines as far as how to and pictures, as well as descriptions on their subjects.

Fantastic! :thumbsup:
I will cruise around and pick them both up. My dad has agreed to do the skrim work on the horn, he loves wood carving and the like, in agreement for me making him a shooting pouch. Fair trade since I am doing it all by hand, as it should be.

Any tips not in the books for a first timer making horns?

on horns make sure before you go to far it will fit the side of your body you carry it on. i spent forever carving one only for it to be better on the left side

My plan was to have it hang on the possibles. That is something I would never have thought of! I do want the option to have it independant of the bag.

Thanks for the tip. :hatsoff:

ive posted pics of mine on here if you want to see how it turned out using the book. i ddint notice the side difference till i squared the base off. never occurred to me to start there. it was in the book to tell which side to use the horn on but i had started to carve it a few weekd before i got the book. by then and specially after i sqaured the butt it was too late.

I believe that right/left horns are more of a concern now then they were in the 18th century (don't know about 19th). There are a couple of old horns out there, I believe, that are made to hang on the "wrong" side, including at least one quite nice one.

Back