• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boiling water!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the days of Old Bony they ****** down their barrels to clean them.

I will see if I can dig up the reference again.
If I may, I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps , working on rifles and pistols , we had a saying posted about pissing
Down the bore of your weapon, I will look to see if I can find it. It was taken from an old German infantry manual.
Gunnyr

re: pissing down the bore
I recently read a quote from a letter , a French military order, warning the officers to keep the men from using piss to clean their rifle bores.

Never burnt my hands but I guess an idiot could if he used a saucepan to poor from!
Never ever damaged any wood or finish but I guess an idiot could if they poured from a saucepan!
Never had rust, I guess the heat dries it quickly for me.
The high temp contains more energy than tepid.
As for likening the process to lead oxides in paints and drilling holes in skulls let's just hope one never gets a serious head trauma, they still drill skulls. Lead containing paint is way safer than hurtling down the road in a vehicle whilst sitting above gallons of gas, an intricate electrical system and a reactive catalytic converter at the lowest point!
But hey.....

Anybody who has ever washed their hands with grease and soot on them using soap and water knows that warm or hot water works infinitely better than cold.

And it is a scientific fact that water is a better solvent of solids and other liquids when it is heated than when it is cold. Not so of gases, but I have never tried cleaning gases out of my rifle.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-is-hot-water-a-better-solvent-than-cold-water/
Truth is there are a thousand correct ways to clean a gun barrel bore, all will work, some better than others depending on circumstances.

Again, this is a subject that has been beaten to death with no definitive answer accepted by all shooters. Wonder why?

Back when the world and I were both young(er), I was taught to clean black powder residue from the barrel, breech, and lock of my ML rifle with hot (not boiling)water with a touch of mild soap added, rinse with clean hot (not boiling) water, dry the metal and oil it to prevent rust. That worked then, still does. I can't imagine why anybody would want to use boiling water to clean metal parts they're handling with their bare paws. I also can't imagine why anybody would want to fiddle with chemicals when hot soapy water works just fine. As far as Gunnyr's comment about p*ss*ng down the bore, old Army NCO's teach that as a method to be used when you absolutely NEED a weapon to keep firing and it's badly fouled but you haven't run out of targets that are shooting back and there's no other cleaning option available to you. It stinks, but it is a field expedient method that can work when your other option is to fix bayonets. So far, I've managed to avoid those situations in my sport black powder shooting and my ambition is to keep doing that.

While I have boiled water to clean a barrel bore, I have never used boiling water to clean a barrel bore. The second it comes off the stove, burner, fire, etc. it stops boiling, and becomes simply hot water.

Last edited:
While I have boiled water to clean a barrel bore, I have never used boiling water to clean a barrel bore. The second it comes off the stove, burner, fire, etc. it stops boiling, and becomes simply hot water.

I was about to saw, that even with my electric kettle by the time I get to my gun cleaning area the water would not be boiling anymore.

I just use water hot from the tap w a touch of dish soap, but I am new to all this.

August 1st, 1758 regimental order for the 31st Regiment of foot:

"No soldier to wash the Barrel of his Firelock in piss on any account."

Spence

I was about to saw, that even with my electric kettle by the time I get to my gun cleaning area the water would not be boiling anymore.

I just use water hot from the tap w a touch of dish soap, but I am new to all this.

Yeah, I generally use hot tap water too, as we have it cranked up somewhat high here for various reasons, and it is steaming so it does a good job of heating the barrel and causing it to dry faster.

As far as "boiling", that is usually a factor of a hunting camp, rendezvous etc., where one will be away from civilization for days and need to clean.

The whole urine thing is a historical issue, but one of merit. As seen above they wouldn't be telling soldiers not to do it, had they not already been doing it regularly. That whole "chain of command" thing really takes a lot of fun out of for those down the chain. 😄

I've used very hot water to clean, also used cold water to clean, also used ambient tem; water to clean, even chemicals in the past. They all worked. Because I'm lazy I just use ambient temp water. I would just say use whatever system you are happy with and be glad.

IMO, that's the sort of idea that was dreamed up by some fiction writer who thought the idea would add interest to their story. Seems I recall reading something like that in a story about the buffalo hunters.
Now, I can't say for certain but the buffalo hunters whole lives depended on their rifles so the idea of pissing on or in them simply doesn't make any sense. (The old expression of, "Piss on it" never is used in a complimentary way. It always is used to show total disrespect for something.)

All but the most ignorant people know urine contains a lot of salt in it and they also know that salt causes rust on steel or iron. In other words, salt water or urine is about the last thing anyone would want to use in their barrel.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

As for using boiling water to clean one of my muzzleloaders, I would never do it.
It's not that I'm so concerned with the barrel or the stock. It's I am concerned about damaging ME.
Just a little slip that ends up pouring boiling water on any part of me will cause major burns to my hide. Burns that are painful and take a long time to heal. No thanks. Using room temperature water and a bit of dishwashing soap works fine on all of my black powder guns. Even the ones I shoot Pyrodex in.
Urine was used at sea a lot for clothing and body. Urine was saved for many uses.
I’ve not been so short of water that I had to make use of bio-alternatives to clean my gun.
Maybe a buff hunter had water to drink but needed ‘throw away liquid to clean’????
Day old it would be pretty strong ammonia, would that counter act it’s saltiness?
I don’t think I’ll try it.

Cleaning the bore could make your rifle fragrant after the next shot- ever piss on a hot wood stove?
All your hunting scent control effort down the tube.

For what it is worth, I have used boiling water on many older barrels. Barrels Were removed first. I wore a thermal mitten: kind of helped. Everything comes out: rust, dirt, everything. Dries almost instantly. Oiled them down. Done. Works like a charm.

only thing that hurt with boiling water was that the barrel got so hot so fast. I was amazed at the speed of the heat transfer: a lesson in itself. Little spilt water too.-:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back