• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BLASPHEMY!!! Lyman 395gr conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been using nothing but RBs for at least 15years now, and probably closer to 20, but was cleaning out the garage and found a couple boxes of some Lyman Plains Bullets that weigh 395grs per the boxes. The mold number is 508656 if that helps any. Do ya'll think these are even worth trying, or should I just melt em down and cast RBs out of them? My .50 rifles are a CVA St. Louis hawken with a 1:48" and a Lyman GPR with a 1:60", but thinking the Lyman will stay a dedicated RB rifle. Now the CVA has always been my experimenting rifle, and it's faster twist doesn't hurt any in this case. So, melt and recast into something that was intended to be used for hunting, or shoot?

Shootem. Put a lubed felt wad between them and the powder and be prepared to be impressed.

I'm yet to get around to shooting game with conicals, but I shoot a lot of them. Cuzz they're a whole lot of fun, especially when you start stretching the range.

Nobody whose opinion you care about is going to check your shorts for tobacco stains just cuzz you choose to experiment and have fun.

With so few available to you...I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to try to identify a good shooting load for them.
Based on my experience with T/C 1:48 barrels...you may get good results with 80-90 gn charges of BP.
To what end though..???
FWIW: Last year, I ran a variety of commercially available conicals through my original T/C "Hawken" with 1:48 caplock barrel. The object of that exercise was to identify the best "big bullet" conical hunting load for the T/C barrel.
Why..?? Just because.
I found that my rifle really likes the Hornady Great Plains HB/HP 385 gn. offering with 90 gns. Goex.

I say shoot 'em and see what they do. Some day you may need that info. Put a felt wad under the bullet. My TC Hawken 50 cal like 90 grains of Triple Seven 2F with the Hornady great plains 385 grain bullet. I have always had best results with conicals using a heavy charge.

Once your sample runs short, and you've decided you enjoy launching them, you don't have to go the expense of buying factory versions. Lyman makes a mold that turns out a very credible version. Click here for the details.

Lonegun1894 said:
I have been using nothing but RBs for at least 15years now, and probably closer to 20, but was cleaning out the garage and found a couple boxes of some Lyman Plains Bullets that weigh 395grs per the boxes. The mold number is 508656 if that helps any. Do ya'll think these are even worth trying, or should I just melt em down and cast RBs out of them? My .50 rifles are a CVA St. Louis hawken with a 1:48" and a Lyman GPR with a 1:60", but thinking the Lyman will stay a dedicated RB rifle. Now the CVA has always been my experimenting rifle, and it's faster twist doesn't hurt any in this case. So, melt and recast into something that was intended to be used for hunting, or shoot?

When Hornady stopped the production of the Hornady 410 I thought man I need to try the Lyman plains bullet. I have 1-28 twist barrels so I thought I would go for it. This was a typical group at 50 yards.

2250398_felt_wad_50_yard_2.jpg

I shot it with a over powder wad and without. Nothing worked. I tried different alloys and powder charges. Midway sold me the mould and it was said to be .508 diameter. Mine came out at .504 if I remember right. Anyway, I contacted lyman and sent it back. They told me it was within tolerances. I gave up on it and after a while I tried again. This time I paper patched them. Still I had the same results. I finally sold it and went on with paper patching the lee C-501-440-RF. That has been my bullet for many years.
What to do with your bullets? I would melt them and use the lead for something more worth while. Even fishing weights would be a better use.

Huh. You might just have splained something on the 50's. Bud of mine felt they were undersized too, but blamed it on his particular rifle. So he "bumps them up" slightly, then runs them through a sizing die. My experience has been stellar with the 54's right out of the mold. So good in fact, I always wished they made a 58 mold.

I believe its NOE that makes a hollow based solid nose copy of the Hornady great plains bullet now. A bunch of guys got together for a group buy this year and they produced them..For sale now I think..they drop bullets at .510 on the top band

I believe its NOE that makes a hollow based solid nose copy of the Hornady great plains bullet now. A bunch of guys got together for a group buy this year and they produced them..For sale now I think..they drop bullets at .510 on the top band

BrownBear said:
Once your sample runs short, and you've decided you enjoy launching them, you don't have to go the expense of buying factory versions. Lyman makes a mold that turns out a very credible version. Click here for the details.

Y'all win. I will shoot them and see what happens.

BrownBear,
You're a bad influence! Your link made me do a quick google search, and guess what I found! http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ains-Mould-Number-508656-50-Caliber-395-Grain At $30 plus shipping, it is hard to go wrong. TOTW had this same mold listed at $70 in your link, but this is a closeout price so anyone that wants one better jump on it now cause they don't say how many they have in stock. If you're a gambler though, they go down another 10% tonight at midnight if there's any left. I have one heading my way. I mean, if I end up not liking it, what's one more mold on my shelf, and I may get a different rifle that likes it some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Midsouth Shooters Supply has them on sale right now for $30 ($29.85 if you want an exact price)for a new one til stocks run out.

yep, I went ahead and picked one up for that price..shoot if my guns don't like it I can resale it for a profit :thumbsup:

I would shoot them then melt them down. If you can't find a way to do that it's on to plan B. About the only lead I don't remelt is when shooting at game. :)

Larry

Longgun1894,
Id say your post sold a bunch of those. I bought one about 1:30 am..They were sold out early today when I looked back because I thought about buying another for my dad..

I bought one too, and thought several here would be interested, but I still blame Brown Bear, cause if it wasn't for him, I never would have thought to look for the mold. Hey, they couldn't have gone to a better bunch of ML nuts than we have here. :hatsoff:

Back