• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blades!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, a good blade and sheath are a well sought after companion that should never be left home. Figured it would be nice to see what everyone carries! I personally feel good well made blades are out there, affordable and one does not need a small loan to purchase... With that said, here are three of my personal favorites under $50.00 with sheaths and liners all made by me, with elk hide and elk rawhide.

Jeff White English trade knife, absolutely fallen in love with the quality of this blade. Quickly earning the title of one of my favorites.

PuXOV3d.jpg

TG76204.jpg

My all time favorite, the Old Hickory slicer. Stampings have been removed, and the edge has been re-profiled. IMO this is a true diamond in the ruff if one is willing to do a little work. From skinning to camp work this particular blade has performed. Absolutely no complaints with this blade given the price tag!

k4d16wZ.jpg

NPffKC5.jpg

Lastly my South West trade knife from TOW. Another fine blade at a fantastic price. I've been able to achieve a scary sharp razors edge from stones and stropping. Edge retention is wonderful. I also have a smaller french trade knife from the same maker, excellent quality as well with no complaints.

znqLUL8.jpg

4OkYVCi.jpg

All three for comparison.

th7MKgI.jpg

Mooman76 said:
When you shape the handles to the blade, is it best to attach them first?
Yes.
Just make sure the front edge of the handle is at final finish, otherwise you will scratch the blade trying to clean it up. All other edges can be profiled and brought to final finish after shaping.

What purpose does the wrapping at the junction between the blade and handle serve?

Thanks gents! I was hoping someone would pick that detail up!

Essentially it's just a little reminder that the blade is beyond the rawhide. If for some reason I have the blade at night it allows me to "feel" were not to choke up on the handle.

Great looking blades. Want to try one of his. Currently working on these two.

20160324_212402_zpsykwbegbj.jpg

Top is a Green River scalper which I got a bit too carried away with my aging!! Rawhide neck sheath is a bit pitiful. Bottom is a Green River Dadley blade that I have yet to make a sheath for.

By the way, where do you get your cone beads? Or do you make them yourself??

Doc

Not bad sir!

I made a tiny mandrel to make cones, very easy to do. I buy sheets of tin from my local hobby shop, well not local but an hour away. Anywho, I'm sure you can purchase them relatively cheap.

Here's one I put together from an old Ontario Parer - same company that makes Old Hickory..

308a386cf567d518741c0866269d11f0.jpg

72c49619ea2574b52f8eeed1f33b5c59.jpg

I have since darkened the sheath and stretched the opening so that the blade does not cut the sheath.

Back