• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder wood splitting wedge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad used to do that a lot, us kids all used to watch . The powder used was in polished lumps up to the size of a peanut , not ground up like the powder we are all used to . It was known a prune powder . Dad used a large hessian sugar bag wired to the blasting gun to act as a parachute , "hunting the gun" was a kids job .
I owned one until about 20 years ago , I sold it because I couldn't get the powder . The guy I sold it to had 30+ pint preserving jars full of prune powder . I believe that sometimes the powder was made with sodium nitrate not potassium nitrate . The sodium nitrate powder is hydroscopic and draws water out of the air , hence the glass jars .
There was a shortage of black powder here in NZ and some guys got ahold of some prune powder , put a blender in a hole in the ground and with a very long extension cord and a equally long remote control , sat in another hole and blitzed the powder until it was approximately 2f-3f and used that until the next Goex shipment turned up . Because blenders get hot it was blip wait blip wait for quite some time .

As a kid river rat we weighted down dyna stix and blasted up catfish and anything else.
I saw a black powder water blaster once-- but never saw the ad again. Miners,who tried to
play safe when cracking rock with powder were aften hurt or maimed while blasting.
The safest way to use the powder is by proper tecnical muzzle loading safety. Behind every
lost finger or eye is a story. I'm now too old for exciting stories- like blasting stumps and
logs.

Sounds like a great idea if you need to split elm. Probably good for apple, too.

Tom

I have looked for one for years. Had a friend that had one and always thought it was cool!

and they call MT. WILLIAMS- AKA.-HILLBILLYS, DUMB? THINK AGAIN!

I had a friend brought one to my annual rendezvous. It was neat, glad we did it once, not sure I would want to routinely use it. Certainly can see where it can be very dangerous.

Fleener

Lots of sawmills resort to BP when logs won't fit on their mills. No wedge, just a chainsawn hole, powder and wood wedge to help contain the pressure momentarily. Still used to this day.

I used BP to split some large logs last fall. I used a chainsaw to cut a slot into the log then poured in 2oz of 3f and inserted cannon fuse and packed with sand. Worked very well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back