• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been discussing this at length for three days on another thread.

What I got out of the discussion:

SWISS will be upping its production to try and fill the Goex void in 2,3, and 4 F.

If you shoot percussion in .45 cal or larger, Pyrodex RS will work fine.

I tried some Pyrodex RS @ $22.45/lbs and Pyrodex RS Select $24.95/lbs, yesterday in .45 Seneca and in .50 cal CVA. Both 100% reliable, shot 300 grainer out of .50 with max loads, no change in accuracy at 75 yards across 10 shots.

I did not chronograph, but have been told it will shoot slightly slower, and it is harder to ignite in humid climates.

Also, some folks are going to try their hand at making BP.

If you are flinter, it was also mentioned that you can extend your remaining BP by using Pyrodex as your primary charge, and using only a small amount of your BP as an “in barrel priming charge to catch the flash hole spark inside the barrel”. Example load: For a 80 grain charge, first load 10 grains of BP, then 70 grains of the Pyrodex. The idea being that the more flammable BP will catch the flash hole primer spark, ignite, and in turn ignite the harder to ignite Pyrodex. I am not a flinter yet, so I don’t know if this is accurate info, you will have to research it.

@337 I've heard similar, but it was more like January. I can stretch my powder to next summer but think I'll buy the odd pound here and there when possible to keep some extra on hand for my son and I.

At end of shooting day, bore foam soak 1 hour, light bore scrub, more foam 1 more hour. Followed by warm detergent water and more brushing. Swab them out and oil’em.

Day 2,( no shooting), more bore foam, lots of bore brushing and patches. Final oiling.

I have the time, and it’s relaxing. The shooting is what takes time. I have arthritis so loading all day is taxing. I have total respect for the early frontiersmen. Tough going.

At end of shooting day, bore foam soak 1 hour, light bore scrub, more foam 1 more hour. Followed by warm detergent water and more brushing. Swab them out and oil’em.

Day 2,( no shooting), more bore foam, lots of bore brushing and patches. Final oiling.

I have the time, and it’s relaxing. The shooting is what takes time. I have arthritis so loading all day is taxing. I have total respect for the early frontiersmen. Tough going.
You left out the Ballistol and Wonder Lube.

I have heard about Ballistol, and if my way starts to fail, I will definitely try it out.

I am shooting literally every week for hours at a time and cleaning constantly. I have yet to get rust.

What might surprise you is that I use food grade coconut oil to lubricate muzzleloaders.

It is biodegradable, non-toxic and again, I have yet to encounter any rust.

Go figure…I am a long way off from bear oil….I will get there eventually.

I have heard about Ballistol, and if my way starts to fail, I will definitely try it out.

I am shooting literally every week for hours at a time and cleaning constantly. I have yet to get rust.

What might surprise you is that I use food grade coconut oil to lubricate muzzleloaders.

It is biodegradable, non-toxic and again, I have yet to encounter any rust.

Go figure…I am a long way off from bear oil….I will get there eventually.
Several years ago when i had some time to kill I experimented with any and all cooking oils as well as other oils as patch lubes and found no noticable differences using the same amount. Most people I believe have problems with lubes because they use too much. Dutch Schultz's system of using soluable oils and water and letting the water evaporate is in my opinion just a way to get some lube with out getting too much. Among the oils I tested were: corn oil, soybean oil, lard, coconut oil, canola oil, castor oil, olive oil, sperm whale oil (both the real stuff and the sythetic) beef tallow,chicken fat crisco, and fish oil.Years ago I even tried STP (BIG MISTAKE).

I find it funny that alot of folks seem to get bent out of shape a little when someone asks a question that has already been discussed. Perhaps the one asking the question did not see the previous posts. Even if they did so what if they wish to discuss it further. Maybe if that upsets some folks they could just scroll on by the post instead of making snide remarks. Or maybe they just can help themselves. 🤔

I found some powder I forgot I had, can is unopened

IMGP1667.JPG

Wonder if it still good?

I find it funny that alot of folks seem to get bent out of shape a little when someone asks a question that has already been discussed. Perhaps the one asking the question did not see the previous posts. Even if they did so what if they wish to discuss it further. Maybe if that upsets some folks they could just scroll on by the post instead of making snide remarks. Or maybe they just can help themselves. 🤔
Amen Brother.

Latest posts

Back