• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are muzzleloading still antiques?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had black powder revolvers that were 60 years old. They had serial numbers.
I worked on and cleaned up a flintlock pistol British made. It was over 200 years old & it had a serial number.
When I have a black powder or suppository anything come in. If it doesn't have a serial number I write down NSN.

Last edited:
What is an FFL going to do with a frame that has no serial number?

They have nothing to put in their A&D book.

Unless the FFL is doing it as a courtesy service for their customers and they're going to hand it over to the end user without a 4473 being filled out.

Though I'm certain the FFL is getting a "Transfer" fee for all their "Trouble".

It's dumb and beyond useless sending a percussion revolver to an FFL.
I think a lot of the policy changes had to do with that case of a felon ordering everything he needed to assemble a BP cartridge conversion online, and then killing someone with it. I'm pretty sure the article even mentioned the specific sporting goods store that everything was ordered from by name. There's no store out there that wants an event like that associated with their name or products.

Like you said, legally it doesn't make a lot of sense, but from a CYA perspective, it does.

Some people remove the serial number on black powder pistols, revolvers, and rifles when they defarb them. I have seen many this way. Especially on finished kit guns.

Oh Really no serial number!!
Better go look at your cap & ball revolvers.
SMH

You're not getting around the law & there is no loophole.
Again ,I'll tell you guys to stop confusing antique firearm's with muzzleloaders.

As far as Midway shipping an item.
When you place that online order your stating that you're of age and you're allowed to possess in your area & state.
My '51 Pietta Navy from the '80s has a serial number on the bottom of the grip strap.

Not usable as a serial number.

As the strap can be replaced.

Main point being, people are making up their own rules and regulations and it stinks.

My '51 Pietta Navy from the '80s has a serial number on the bottom of the grip strap.

Not usable as a serial number.

As the strap can be replaced.

Main point being, people are making up their own rules and regulations and it stinks.
A lot of the 1858's have the serial number on the bottom of the grip strap. Sometimes on the cylinder and sometimes not. Easy to change out a cylinder and remove the grip serial number.

Last edited:
I leave my S/N on and write them down that way if they're ever stolen, there's at least some chance of proving that it belongs to me. I also engrave my initials, really small, in a covered spot that wouldn't be noticed unless you disassembled the gun knew exactly where to look.

I'm under the impression that black powder serial numbers are about as useful as ones on something like an Xbox or laptop. It's more just a manufacturer's code than anything else.

Back