• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Linguistic Pet Peeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing bothered me much until the other day someone used the term "rocky locky" here on a flintlock thread. I fought off the nausea.

I used to work for a guy who was studying for a bachelor’s degree. More than a few of us noticed how he would focus on one or two words each week and use them every chance he got. Then a week later, no mention of that particular word as he was off to another one. We all have a kind of quirqulabilishnousity about us I suppose.

I could care less, honestly. I'm just happy when I can introduce people to muzzle-loading. Not many jump into the hobby, or at least, not right away. Perhaps I have planted some seeds along the way that will sprout down the road.

I'm a hunter safety instructor. One thing I started perhaps 20 years ago was to have all my students, which were never all that many, to fire one shot with my percussion 50 with a load of about 10 grains of black. It was against a 45° heavy backstop, and if we could find the flatened ball, I would give it to them. They were really impressed how flat it would be.Probably my main reason, was to hope to inspire one of them to shoot a front stuffer. Do any of them? I don't know but I plan on keeping on as long as I can.
Squint

Nothing bothered me much until the other day someone used the term "rocky locky" here on a flintlock thread. I fought off the nausea.

Forrest Gump comes to mind, stupid does as stupid says or something like that.

The "new" ML language at times reminds of the 1960's TV coverage of the Beatles concerts, yah, yah yah, etc.

As I get older, I've made a list of things I need to worry about. Generally speaking, how other people pronounce or mispronounce words hasn't been one of them, with an exception here and there. For example I once had a Physics professor who spoke English with a strong German accent. Couldn't understand most of what he said, so I transferred to a different class. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back