• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Linguistic Pet Peeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Exactly! All languages are limited, which is why we should try to communicate as clearly as possible, using standard spellings and pronunciations. If everybody invents their own words and spellings, we would soon have a real problem on our hands regarding clear communication, as evidenced by the new "text message" spellers and acronym users.

So....
The tornado made a shambles of the town. What, a tornado turned the town in to a meat market?
Mom told her son his room was a mess. I guess he was having some soldiers over to dinner.
The town was decimated by the fire. Were one in ten of the towns people executed by being burned to death?
The doctor will be with you shortly. I guess he his getting his legs amputated now.
Well hopefully we will get our speech and spelling to be more korrect in the future?
As in OK, Oll Korrect... hopefully

Last edited:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteesr are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteesr are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe.

I aerge wtih taht oen hudrend pecrnet.

"boolits" was the term originated and used as the name of the forum that has made casting lead projectiles the popular hobby that it is today.
They have done as much (or more) for lead casters as this forum has done for traditional muzze loaders.
It is a wealth of information for all things related to shooting lubes, casting projectiles, alloys, molds - you name it.
In addition to round ball, you will find a wealth of information on anything made of lead that gets spit out of a barrel.
The topics run deep on every piece of hardware used for casting, sizing, capping, hardening, loading or remotely related.
Go ahead and object - it's a forum a lot better know than most others in the shooting biz....
This forum has 18k members with a few dozen that are truly active., castboolits has 51k members with thousands of them actively participating.
If you cast - take a trip over there and see what castBOOLITS has to offer.
I have been a member there for at least 15 years and agree there is a wealth of knowledge available. It should still be spelled correctly.

Don

:thumb:

Last edited:
I was half way through that before I realized what you did. Strange.......

I have always objected to "boolits" as well.

Use proper spelling for crying out loud. Must be the nuns at the Catholic grade school I went to, they did not tolerate misspellings.

Don
if u belong to the site CAST BULLET'S U have to use BOOLETS. most of us know that. that is the only time that I use it. remember it is only a word, it can't hurt u.

Use proper spelling for crying out loud. Must be the nuns at the Catholic grade school I went to, they did not tolerate misspellings.

Don
I like boolit. As far as I'm concerned it's short hand for home cast lead projectiles. While
bullet is a boughten projectile. There's an old word no longer used for ya.

Good information on "Boolits" and I understand why they do it but irritates me a bit to have to "Moider the King's English". Easy to just call them Minies, slugs, balls or projectiles to avoid playing that 'Boolits" spelling game. In my Whitworth I prefer the term "bolt", used for the hardened hex projectiles.

Don
Boolits is used on the Castboolits site to differentiate between jacketed and cast bullets. Just like on this site where mention of the unmentionable "other guns" is frowned upon, the mention of jacketed is treated likewise. They must be called "full length gas-check" or "condom" bullets.

I too think it's a rather silly term but it does prevent postings to become cluttered with talk that's way off the subject.

You attended the same school as my grandson!

irritates me a bit to have to "Moider the King's English".
As you have probably already observed - the bulk of us "yanks" don't give a flip about the King's version of "English"
Even the English don't use the King's English......... (Hint - there is no King (or Queen) of England. It's just a ceremonial title because the family has no power over anyone except the paid help.

...irritates me a bit to have to "Moider the King's English".

"Act like you don't know me, yous guy! I'm tryin' to remain in magneto here."

iu

She reigns but does not rule. I never understood it my self, but her face is on the money of independent countries.
She has a moral power. And every time some princess has a baby America goes ga ga. Can’t walk in to an American supermarket with out seeing some Royals face on a tabloid at the check out line.

Good English well spoken is powerful. Winston Churchill was a powerful man because of words, both written and spoken.
The ability to deliver words like slingshots or roses is power. Some have it and some do not.

Back