• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Aluminium Flask?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATKAS

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am new to black powder shooting and I want to make my own black powder flask, but making it out of bass is going to be a bit expensive for me. Can I make it out of aluminium instead? Thoughts?

Hi guys. I am new to black powder shooting and I want to make my own black powder flask, but making it out of bass is going to be a bit expensive for me. Can I make it out of aluminium instead? Thoughts?
Um..., no that's probably a bad idea. I was once a muzzleloading artillery man and I know the black powder reacts with the aluminum foil that we would wrap the main charge within to shoot the cannon. Since we made these up less than a week before an event it was not a problem for us as the aluminum foil would get destroyed when the cartridge was fired, but storing powder for long periods, no I would not.

LD

Um..., no that's probably a bad idea. I was once a muzzleloading artillery man and I know the black powder reacts with the aluminum foil that we would wrap the main charge within to shoot the cannon. Since we made these up less than a week before an event it was not a problem for us as the aluminum foil would get destroyed when the cartridge was fired, but storing powder for long periods, no I would not.

LD
Awesome. Good to know, thanks. I also had my doubts, but wanted to make sure.

How would you fabricate it? If made in two halves how would you join the two halves? If made from round pipe you would have to thread end caps and you would need a lathe chuck to hold the thing securely or a face plate and dog. Can it be done - sure - will it look period - no. Tin would look better and it can be soldered.

I made one from wood. Two halves hollowed out and glued and pinned together. A little decorative carving on the wood. Brass spout.
I don't use it though. I prefer my powderhorn, also made by myself.

How would you fabricate it? If made in two halves how would you join the two halves? If made from round pipe you would have to thread end caps and you would need a lathe chuck to hold the thing securely or a face plate and dog. Can it be done - sure - will it look period - no. Tin would look better and it can be soldered.
Yeah, I wouldn't make it in two halves. Would be manufactured from pipe. Sure, it won't look period and I agree.....it kinda should. I am an engineer at my own company with cnc lathes and cnc milling machines so I have all the necessary tools at my disposal to manufacture all kinds of neat things for my new hobby hehe. Thanks for the input brother, appreciate it.

I made one from wood. Two halves hollowed out and glued and pinned together. A little decorative carving on the wood. Brass spout.
I don't use it though. I prefer my powderhorn, also made by myself.
That's also a nice idea to make it out of wood. Thanks!

I made one from walnut that was left over from a plank build for a pistol. All the wood matched. It turned out very nice. My flask was made in three pieces like a sandwich. The top and bottom were solid. The center part had the middle of the piece cut out for the cavity. Think of a piece of sandwich bread with the middle cut out, leaving just the crust edge. Made a brass top with a spout and done. It looks like a Colt flask only in walnut. :cool:

Powder horn kit is around $30-35, less if you get just a horn and make the plug and stopper yourself. If you're doing it to be self-sufficient or keep a budget, I'd think a horn a good option that's also correct for a muzzleloader.

I made one from walnut that was left over from a plank build for a pistol. All the wood matched. It turned out very nice. My flask was made in three pieces like a sandwich. The top and bottom were solid. The center part had the middle of the piece cut out for the cavity. Think of a piece of sandwich bread with the middle cut out, leaving just the crust edge. Made a brass top with a spout and done. It looks like a Colt flask only in walnut. :cool:
Thanks for the idea!!

Powder horn kit is around $30-35, less if you get just a horn and make the plug and stopper yourself. If you're doing it to be self-sufficient or keep a budget, I'd think a horn a good option that's also correct for a muzzleloader.
That's the thing, to go period or not. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the idea!!

Here is a shot flask made from hard leather. You could make one that holds powder instead. You could make it and then boil the leather to make it hard, OR you could make it out of rawhide (rawhide dog bone soaked and untied) dried after fashioned and then cover that with leather.

LEATHER SHOT FLASK.jpg

LD

Yeah, I wouldn't make it in two halves. Would be manufactured from pipe. Sure, it won't look period and I agree.....it kinda should. I am an engineer at my own company with cnc lathes and cnc milling machines so I have all the necessary tools at my disposal to manufacture all kinds of neat things for my new hobby hehe. Thanks for the input brother, appreciate it.
so you have all the toys make it from something bronze? german silver (not the same as nickle silver the color is different ) think outside the box!

That's also a nice idea to make it out of wood. Thanks!
Look up jackware on you tube. A leather canteen in one qt size will hold two pounds of powder and is almost fully waterproof if you don’t toss it in a stream
And you can make it at your kitchen table
It was used in the past for powder storage, although horns were the go to

Back