• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Friday 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMA65

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've probably never bought anything other than blood pressure medicine on Black Friday; that is until today. I got a notice from Cabelas that they were having a sale on the Pietta 1858 Army percussion revolver, .36 cal. I took the bait, in fact, swallowed it hook, line and sinker when I saw free shipping and my Cabelas points total. Nothing like an almost free blackpowder revolver. I did not realize that Remington had made the 1858 in .36 cal, but they did. It will be interesting to see the quality of the Pietta, compared to Uberti. So now my Uberti Navy will have a little competition, just in time for the Army-Navy game. I think what I will do is shoot each one after their respective school scores. Unfortunately, I think the Uberti Navy is in for a workout. http://www.cabelas.com/product/pie...y-36-caliber-black-powder-revolver/731694.uts

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of them need some work to bring up to full potential but every thing is there to make a match grade pistol and at a 100 bucks off,what a deal!

I think you'll be pleased with the 1858 .36 cal. I grew up with Dad's 1969 Navy Arms / Uberti 1861 Colt, and only a few years ago got a Pietta 1858 .36 cal from Cabela's - same deal, holiday discount & free shipping. If your Uberti is one of the older models, you'll notice that the internal machining of the Pietta is smoother; if a newer Uberti, you'll find them largely the same for fit & finish.

Completly disassemble the Uberti upon arrival & clean out all the packing oil, then reassemble dry (no lube) for your first time firing. This will cause new parts to wear, a little, resulting in smoother action. You'll also find the Remington a lot easier to disassemble & reassemble. The same 17 grain 3F load will give you best accuracy in both revolvers.

Depending on the day of the week/phases of the moon/estrus cycle of the nipple maker, they may be complete junk, with varying dimensions from chamber to chamber in the same cylinder. This is my only complaint with cap & ball revolvers & includes both the newer Pietta and Ubertis. Consider a set of Treso/Ampco nipples. Jedediah-Starr.com: http://jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?searchWord=treso ampco nipples&pid=863&offset=0

Just click on size, and select "Newer Italian nipples". Of course you may find the factory nipples entirely OK, and they are made to fit #10 caps.

Of course, you'll need an 1858 in .44 cal to go along with your .36, so keep an eye out for further sale prices on-line. The "Sheriff's Model" is amazingly accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same gun and I'm happy with it. You are going to have to file down the front sight as it will shoot low like the rest of the Remingtons seem to do. That was a great price, enjoy.

Don

GoodCheer said:
I saw that .36 and had to make myself not hit the button!

If it lasts till Friday I'm hitting the button! too good of a price to pass up. They took my 1851 Navy off sale :( .

I couldn't live without this gun!
Cabela's price was right, free shipping, easy transaction on their website and how could I resist?
This makes the seventh Pietta revolver I've gotten from Cabela's and every one is a good shooter right out of the box.
Regarding the Pietta vs. Uberti quality comparison; I recently bought a Uberti 1858 Remington stainless steel and compared to my Pietta 1858(blued) I like the Pietta's trigger pull better.
In my opinion, Piettas compare favorably to the Uberti.

Damn it! :cursing: Stop this! :cursing: I cant afford it! :surrender:

However while tempting myself I see a .44 1851 for $139.00. :idunno:

I gotta get off the internet......temptations are overwhelming! Probably gonna get the .36 though :redface:

It's tough man. You find something. Ya always wanted one of those. It's a REALLY good deal! Your heart starts racing. It's not THAT much money at the end of the year. You're getting giddy (read light headed)... This is where I channel Eddie Eagle.

Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult.

Take a deep breath. I don't NEED that one. Appreciate the opportunity. Close the link. Whew, that was a close call but I'm satisfied with my decision.

andy hampton said:
I had to drop the hammer on the pietta 1858 remington 36cal also. Sweet deal!

I'm always broke at the end of the Month, bills and more bills. :cursing: .

Just when you thought you were safe, my just-received Christmas flyer for Dec 3 - 9 shows the Pietta Model 1860 army on sale for $199.99. Item No. LF-21-0080. Free shipping 'til 12/17 by entering promotion code 5SANTA. Trying to be strong........

Black Jack said:
Just when you thought you were safe, my just-received Christmas flyer for Dec 3 - 9 shows the Pietta Model 1860 army on sale for $199.99. Item No. LF-21-0080. Free shipping 'til 12/17 by entering promotion code 5SANTA. Trying to be strong........
Rub it in, rub it in. It puts the lotion on the skin! :surrender:

Saw the ad from Cabela's right after the wife emptied my wallet and hit the plastic to go gift shopping. Large family and bunch of friends. Wanted to get another 1860 after firing my Pietta 1860 last weekend and just plain liked the weight and feel of the kick.
I had this one loaded for 7 years, 5 cylinders, 25 gr FFFg, wonder wad between powder n ball, .454 RB, #11 CCI cap on stock nipples, & gobbered Bore Butter over the ball. All 5 went off, no misfires and had the recoil appropriate for the charge.

Slojo

You guys are setting a bad example! Cabelas also has the Pietta 1860 with spare cylinder on sale. The 1860 is my favorite traditional C&B (even though the ROA is more accurate). Just ordered it as an early Christmas present to myself. Apparently, I can resist anything but temptation. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Geeze I guess that Cabela's hooked a bunch of you guys! I missed out this time but that's because I've got my eye on something else.......and I think I used up my gun bucks on another little revolver......Though I'd really like to add the .36 to the .44's and the .31 in the Remington collection..... But how about the steel frame Colt .44 Army that came in the latest flyer?? Guess I may have to add to the Colt collection too! This is tough........ :(

:haha: :rotf:

I had to fight off the urge myself, but I have 3 revolvers sitting here that are unfired, the newest one I got last Christmas!

I figure that until I get out and shoot them, I just don't deserve another one. :shake:

The Pietta arrived today. Very quick delivery. I am very impressed with the workmanship, bluing and feel of the gun. What is the oily substance that is all over it, and what is the best way to remove it? Overall, I have to say that this will not be my last Pietta; it is impressive. Didn't someone say something about the 1860 Army coming up for sale soon? I believe I suffer from "cap and ball fever". One more purchase will make it a syndrome !!!

Back