• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bismuth shot questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJohnson2023

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering some bismuth shot from roto metals for goose and duck hunting with my ML. Any recommendations on shot size or info from your experiences?

I still use#4 bismuth over decoys. I found my 10 gauge SxS likes 100gr of 1f Swiss and patterned best with a dry over powder card followed by a greased over powder card, 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 ounce of shot, topped with another over powder card. My 62 cal HATES this load sequence regardless of powder size or charge. It did much better with just 3 over shot cards on top of the powder and another single card over the shot.

I still use#4 bismuth over decoys. I found my 10 gauge SxS likes 100gr of 1f Swiss and patterned best with a dry over powder card followed by a greased over powder card, 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 ounce of shot, topped with another over powder card. My 62 cal HATES this load sequence regardless of powder size or charge. It did much better with just 3 over shot cards on top of the powder and another single card over the shot.
Thank you @x_count I ended up ordering some #3 bismuth to play around with. I went with the larger size because my muzzleloader has a shorter barrel than most and I figured I could bank on lower velocities.

#4 bismuth works great for geese over decoys. I did several hunts using 80gr. 3F and 1 1/4oz. shot using a volume measure. No shot buffer used.

Back