• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birthday knife and sheath for my nephew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My nephew, Caleb, loves knives so for his 14th birthday my dad made him this Bowie. For my contribution to the present, I made the sheath for it.

As you can see, the blade is quite long, (about 10") so I made the sheath as a cross-draw model so it wouldn't get in the way. The core of the rig is some old veg-tanned leather I had laying around. I wrapped the sheath in caiman to make it pretty and then wrapped the belt loop in ostrich. The whole thing is trimmed with lambskin and sewn by hand.

The blank the knife is made from is out of some old tool steel Dad had laying around from his tool-and-die days in the '60s. He did the tempering on the forge his grandpa built and the antler handle came from one of the bucks killed on our farm.

I gave Caleb his present last Saturday and the boy was speechless. I can't wait to see him put it to use this fall on a home-grown whitetail!

Darren

CalebsKnifeSheath-2_zps09adfd0e.jpg

CalebsKnifeSheath-1_zpsf78ea422.jpg

Great gift! It is all the more special because of the efforts of those who contributed. :thumbsup:

And all my uncles ever gave me was the chance to loan them money, geez :doh:

Great job to both of you.

Ron

That is a great looking knife and the leather work is super - I really like the way you blended the different leathers and came up with something that is perfect for the knife. And what an excellent story to go with such an excellent gift. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Back