• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bill Large Memorial Shoot, Deering, Ohio

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumblernotch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday the Bill Large Memorial Shoot was held at his range near Coal Grove, Ohio. This year, instead of a straight chunk gun shoot, it was an old-time match consisting of 5 shots offhand at 30 yds and 5 shots over a chunk at 60 yds. You could use any traditional rifle as long as you could shoot it offhand. We had one feller bring a chunk gun that he managed to shoot offhand. Most of the rifles were flintlock but there were a few percussion guns including a mule ear. Several of the shooters were top shelf chunk gunners who are known throughout the over-the log circuit.

Bill's range is pretty much the same as it was when he was still with us. I would be a happy camper if I had a shooting shed like that at my place. We didn't use the shed, we were out in the open. It had stopped raining shortly before and it stayed cloudy throughout most all of the shoot, although the sun tried to peek out a few times. Since we had shot our groups in cloudy conditions, we didn't want to see the sun till after the shoot! First, we shot for group at 30 yds. offhand. About 3 to 5 shots. I had a cloverleaf of 3 and a flyer about an inch low. We then shot our 5 shots for score. After this, we moved our target frames out to 60 yds and shot another group while lying down behind our chunks. Took me 5 shots to make me happy this time. I had a 2 shot group with 3 shots scattered about an inch or so around it. I was using a new rifle I had finished back in the early summer and I can tell you it didn't let me down. I was more than pleased and not a little surprised by its and my performance, especially when shooting against some of the best. I ended up winning the match with 2 firsts (including Best X for the chunk segment and Best X overall) and 4 seconds and the shortest string, 6.421 inches. I didn't get a spider, but both X's were durn close. I'm still waiting for my first spider. There were cash prizes for whoever placed and I get to keep the Bill Large plaque for a year and get my name added to the winners on it. It is a great honor for me to be included with those guys.

Afterwards, we retired to Bill's shop for hotdogs and other goodies and visited for a while with each other as well as Bill's remaining three daughters and their families. While there I and my family took a little tour of Bill's museum which he had set up in the attic. I told Janet, one of his girls that I may write something up for the Forum about the shoot and she was pleased with the idea. I told her that he was still very much remembered by those who have shot ML's and I believe that she really appreciates that. Bill's family are very proud (as they should be) of what he did for muzzleloading over the years. It was sad to see his shop empty of machinery, but it's good to know that those machines are back in order and doing service in another shop. We all had a great time there. The pressure often felt at competitive shoots was much less here. We were all seriously trying to shoot our best, but the fellowship was greater and we had fun. And to me, that's what it's all about. And I want to send out a big thanks to Buck Ruth for putting on a great event as well as the Large family for permitting us to use the grounds and for making us and our families feel welcome.

Yes, though it was rained out in 2005. It is normally a chunk gun shoot, but this year we used offhand rifles. There were some half stock guns there though most were longrifles. We voted to hold the same kind of shoot next year.

Could you give a better location for those of us who do not where the range is. I am always interested in events but often don't know about them until they are over, or don't know exactly where they are.

I this shoot advertized? I didn't see anything about it. Also who bought Bill's machine shop and rifling equipment?

I'm not sure if it is or not. It's been well known amongst chunk gun shooters for years. Since I just started shooting in those matches a few years ago, I hadn't heard much about it before. It's not a big shoot.

I don't remember the guy's name, but I think he's in Illinois, possibly Indiana. Someone mentioned it on another thread awhile back. I didn't think to ask family members who it was.

Members please excuse the post made under my name. I left my computer unattended and someone made these inappropriate posts. I'm sorry. jim c.

kentucky bucky said:
Also who bought Bill's machine shop and rifling equipment?

The guys name is Jim McLemore. I think in northern Indiana. At one of the log shoots in the last year or so he had pictures of the shop these days. I can only say that Bill would be impressed as the machines have been restored to look better than new. They're turning out fine barrels once again as they should be.

Paul

jim catania said:
Members please excuse the post made under my name. I left my computer unattended and someone made these inappropriate posts. I'm sorry. jim c.

No problem! Those things happen. I sent you a PT.

Bob

shortstring said:
kentucky bucky said:
Also who bought Bill's machine shop and rifling equipment?

The guys name is Jim McLemore. I think in northern Indiana. At one of the log shoots in the last year or so he had pictures of the shop these days. I can only say that Bill would be impressed as the machines have been restored to look better than new. They're turning out fine barrels once again as they should be.

Paul

I'm glad somebody bought it, but I was hoping a local person bought it so I could visit.

Ranger,
I've been following your posts re the Bill Large chunk gun shoot and am curious as to where it is held. Could you give some reference or address as to location so I, or anyone else, could pull it up on mapquest?
Mark

Latest posts

Back