• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BIG powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
My son fiddles with a good microscope, so I gave him some Goex 3F and asked for a picture. Looks like coal, doesn't it? Or have any of you young guys actually seen coal? :haha:

Spence

Even looks like coal to the guy from Texas! :thumbsup: :wink:

Picked up a big, ole chunk from the Cumbres & Toltec RR yard some years ago for my brother, the train nut. Who'd a thunk it, a guy would get that giddy over a lump of coal? "Hey Santa, yah know what?!!"

Cool. What did he use for the photomicrograph and what was the (obviosuly overhead) illumination please!?

Alden said:
Cool. What did he use for the photomicrograph and what was the (obviosuly overhead) illumination please!?
I asked my son about his technique, and this is what he said.

The final magnification is a little difficult to calculate because of some unknown variables, but I’ve measured it empirically and found that on a 100dpi monitor it’s 75x with that objective. The background light is just the built in light of the microscope turned down real low. It appears brown because it’s a halogen bulb whereas the incidence lights are LEDs, so there’s a color difference. The picture is white balanced for the incidence lighting, making the backlight go brown. My camera is a Canon 20D attached to the trinocular port on the top of the microscope.
There are two lenses on a microscope, one right above the specimen, called the objective, the other which you look through called the ocular. This shot had to be taken with the lowest power he has because in microscope terms those powder grains are huge. He used a 4X objective and a 10X ocular for a straight magnification of 40X... then the camera and monitor increase that. You can see the background light under the stage, the round one. I believe the incidence lights he mentions are additional lights he added, which he uses for side and top light, for 3D modeling. The trinocular he speaks of is just a straight tube on top with an adapter to attach the camera, the silver tube in this photo.

Spence

After the war (WWII) we got a new house and it caught on fire a year later due to a faulty coal-burning furnace. Fire Dept. put it out quick. Converted to oil and all was OK.

The last time I saw coal was about 5 years ago when I ran my Boykin at a hunt test at a reclaimed coal mine in north Ala. Coal was laying all over the place.

This wasn't a furnace, just a stand alone stove like a wood stove, in fact, if I remember correctly, we could burn wood or coal in it. The stove we replaced it with was wood only.

Not quite as shiny and even surfaced as anthracite coal but yes it looks similar! A lot of people still heat with coal here in north central pa!

Back