• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big game pressure cooking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not really a camp cooking subject, but I was wondering if anyone has a recipe or two for pressure-cooking big game. Some of the boys at work used a pressure-cooker for making the St. Paddy's day corned beef and it turned out really tender. I took the idea home, threw some venison and marinade into my pressure-cooker for 25 minutes. The results were the most tender venison I have made. What do other folks know about pressure cooking big game?

Sneakon This isn't big game but use the pressure cooker for the older groundhogs, no mater how old makes them tender.About 25-30 mins. Have used it on deer ribs. Dilly

Like Justin Wilson always said "Pressure Cookin'will make anything edible". I GUARANTEEEEEE

The trick to remember is to always cool the pot down thoroughly and take the petcock off before you attempt to take the cover off :) It can be done but the results are spectacular and dangerous. Replace your gaskets and blowout valve yearly. Don't fill it too full either. A friend had a grain of rice block the vent and didn't notice it until the lid blew off. End of that cooker. Lid was blasted into the ceiling. If you use one long enough you'll end up with a story. Father was making pea soup once and the blowout gasket let go. As he calmly walked it over to the sink to cool it the stream of soup left a wide green trail across the ceiling. Was sorry to miss that scene. GC

I pressure cook venison roasts. Add some taco seasoning to the water. Comes out pretty snappy and always tender.

guncobbler,
I have never used a preassure cooker,
but I can still remember my mother using one
maybe 45/50 years ago and before crock pots.
I am a big crock pot cooker and was just wondering is there any other benifit of a P/C
over a C/P other than the obvious time in
cooking. I have never had a problem getting wild
game tender,now adding flavor has been a problem
and a slow cooker or crock pot has taken care of that, at least for me.
snake-eyes :hmm:

My Mother cans Venison using a pressure cooker. She cubes up the Venison, puts it in a Ball jar, fills the jar with water just covering the meat and goes away. There are plenty of books out there on the subject of canning.

flyboy,
I am just a bit :confused: Did your mother cook the venison in the P/C and then put
it in jars and then go thru the normal canning
procedure or did she put the ball jars in the
P/C.
My mother never canned meat, but did
can a celler full of veggies yearly. I can't
remember her ever putting a Mason jar in a P/C.
:confused: just wondering

Cooked a big Moose roast with Carrots, best meat I ever tasted. There is one hard part in fixing this dish. The trick is throw the Carrots in first, then when the Moose jumps in to get one, slap the lid on real fast. Haw !!!.

Mr. Snake-eyes,
Do recall my Grandmother placing the items to be "canned" in the jar and then placing the jar into the preasure cooker. Seem to recall she filled the cooker with water to a level equal to the necks of the jars.
Best Wishes

WindWalker said:
Mr. Snake-eyes,
Do recall my Grandmother placing the items to be "canned" in the jar and then placing the jar into the preasure cooker. Seem to recall she filled the cooker with water to a level equal to the necks of the jars.
Best Wishes
You have to remmeber this was a long time
ago, at least to me. The only thing I can remmber was the veggies....tommotes,green beens and corn and tomotoe juice.

snake-eyes said:
You have to remmeber this was a long time
ago, at least to me. The only thing I can remmber was the veggies....tommotes,green beens and corn and tomotoe juice.

Yes Sir, can appreciate the time factor. No offense was intended. My memories of Grandmother's canning are from over 60 years ago. Seems almost impossible for it to have been that long ago. Those were fond/simple times for a kid, back then.
Best Wishes

I pressure cook canadian geese. Follow the directions for the pot, use a metal tray at the bottom and don't overfill with water. I throw in a bunch of pepper corns and bay leaf. Bring it up to a boil until the pressure is gently rocking. I let it go for about 40 min. The goose meat just falls apart, I mix BBQ sauce sometimes and make sloppy joes. Other times I use the meat for Fajitas. This same recipe works for every type of meat.

Regards

Latest posts

Back