• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a big bowie knife I finished up a few weeks ago, finished the sheath last night. The knife has a 12" blade, 18" overall and is a hefty 1lb 6oz. Whitetail antler with rawhide spacer between antler and guard.

Nice looking knife- Since I see no way of carrying the sheath on a belt or sash, I'm guessing that this will be your "in the pouch knife" :rotf: :v

I think I'll need a horse to carry it, I tied it on my belt but since I am deficient in the arse area my belt ended up hanging around my left knee. :grin:

Where are you in Green Country? My family is all in the Muskogee and Wagner area.

Did you start with this blank?

Knife+Making+12inch+Bowie+Blade+Blank+w+Brass+Guard+NEW.jpg

Twister said:
I think I'll need a horse to carry it, I tied it on my belt but since I am deficient in the arse area my belt ended up hanging around my left knee. :grin:

Where are you in Green Country? My family is all in the Muskogee and Wagner area.

Pryor Creek, and I too suffer from 'lak-of a$$, small waist' which makes it hard to carry anything heavy on my belt or sash.
Some times I'm envious of some of the fellas who are more robust as they have enough girth to carry their camp about them,and still have a hand free.
Over the years I have lightened my load and am much happier.

Not too far from where I grew up been through there a few times. Hope to retire back in the Muskogee area in about 10 years if I can talk the wife into leaving Texas.

I watched a Sam Elliot (Louis Lamore) movie the other night "The Quick and the Dead" and he carried his Bowie in a shoulder/underarm holster rig that looked both cool and a very efficient way to carry such a big knife. Mike D.

I would suggest thinking a sheath with a collar and button or hook. The collar could be metal or leather. Then make a sword type over the shoulder baldric and frog for the sheath. That way would give you a choice of carry. Through the belt with the hook to hold it, or in the baldric/frog rig. Actually, a collar would not be necessary, and a bayonet locket button could be used.

"hefty" seems an apt description. Nice looking and good craftmanship. In my experience, a knife that big gets little use. My Riflemans knife has about an 11 1/2" blade. Gets little use, I ain't gutted nobody with it in weeks. :shocked2: :wink:

Another good way to carry a knife this large is in a boot sheath although the grip would need to be changed on the inside to keep from rubbing off the hide just below the knee. Mike D.

Nice big knife, but the only real use that I see for them is Hollyweird and split'n kindling for a campfire. __But what I know. I still use my SHRADE lock blade pocket knife to gut deer!

Just me! :shocked2:

It probably won't be very useful since I don't have to fight my way through the frontier anymore. I got the blade cheap and had the other parts so I thought what the heck plus it was fun to build. By the way I use a Victorinox lock blade pocket knife to gut deer and other critters. :v

Pardon me for saying that that is "Just NEAT". = I haven't seen a hunting sword/baldric that nice since I was last in K-town, BRD & visited the "Classic Jager" relics exhibit at WAFFEN BENNEWITZ.

Traditional jagers used to hunt wild boar armed only with a sword or lance.
(Those lads were TOUGHER, BRAVER and/or more FOOLHARDY than I am.)

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back