• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Between powder and conical base?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Veggie wad, you can makem or buyem at Buffalo Arms.
I make my own.
This is a trick for other types of firearms. The powder never touches the projectile.

What do you use?
Nothing but what suits my weapons. I use many more patched round bullets than anything else, which doesn't stop me from using compressible bullets and Minié bullets...
Look at your/s arms in terms of twist rate, caliber, deep groves or not, etc. Round balls or conical bullets are things that don't mean anything out of one context......

James, I use a variety of different wads for conicals. Most often I use the veggie fiber wads from Buffalo Arms Company but I do use some oversized wool felt wads as well most often with hollow based conicals like the paper patched types. I generally don’t use lubricants on or in the wads. Bullets Carry lube just fine. If I’m shooting paper patched I’m swabbing between shots so lubes are wasted there.

i have a punch and i cut out cards made of paper milk carton. this works for me, but i would urge you to check out a few options and see which one works best for you...

be methodical, and only change one variable at at time, and take notes.

best of luck!

Back