• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Your State/Area Offers??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wisconsin offers a lot of public accessible land to hunt and to me that's very important. We have a lot of federal, county and state owned land which is open to hunting and also land that is owned by private companies that welcomes hunters. To fully utilize all these lands, a county plat book which shows land ownership "opens the door" to lands that are not over hunted. In this age of "me", private hunting lands in the USA are owned by people that want the "European Model" of hunting that is for the very rich and many roadblocks hinder access for ordinary hunters. Our National Forest land is a godsend in this day of "selfishness" and any effort to increase the acreage of public lands should be encouraged......Fred

Im surprised no one mentioned the Pa Flintlock only season Dec26 to Jan 12. Flintlocks and roundball only.

You can hunt elk in KY if you are lucky enough to get drawn:

http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=623&NavPath=C151

Click here for some pictures from previous hunts:

http://fw.ky.gov/elkgallery.asp?lid=1898&NavPath=C151C623

fw707 said:
Osprey said:
We stay at one of the cabins in Lake Hope SP.

Osprey, I been hunting around Lake Hope since 1977. Lots of deer and turkey there. :thumbsup:
ain't it great!!! We moved almost a month ago. I now live about 5 miles from Lake hope :blah:

Josh

Down here in Georgia, get the smokepoles out in Mid Aug. for squirrels and hogs. Then there is a month of archery deer, then a week of smokepoles for deer, then rifle season till early to mid Jan. depending if North or South Ga. use the frontloader.

Anytime during small game, take the smokepole for hogs. Two days after deer season ends in Jan., small game and hogs with blackpowder. Then turkey comes in, take the smokepole and hunt turkey and hogs.

I do not hunt with anything but my smokepole or stickbow. The Kentucky rifle gets out alot more than the bow.

Well Forida is so crowded today that it's no big deal letting the secret out of the bag that this state used to be a hunter's paradise, you name it, hogs, bear, deer, ducks, quail, turkey. Development has destroyed all that but there are still places I can see a bear once every three days and always the tracks. Always see hogs and the ducks are still pretty good. The quail is gone. Incidently the quail was bobwhite but a slightly different, Florida type- like the bass.
So what should you try as a non resident? Muzzleloaders are legal for turkey and the tags aren't too expensive. On most muzzleloading hunts you are after large game and have to wear hunter orange. If you come to Florida for turkey you can get decked out in fringed buckskins, etc and have a quality experience. A 45 caliber gun, or just about any caliber would be fine. You don't have to worry about the rifle not being sporting because the distances are close, regardless of what type of firearm you use.
AND.... don't worry about the snakes, all very friendly. Just about steped on a ringneck yesterday- not venomous. Last rattlesnake was in a trail, just yawned and slithered away. Your worst situation is chiggers (no kidding). Spray the ground and surrounding shrubs with bug spray.

Back