• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best value flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d definitely go towards the $700 to $1,000+ kit or gun. I like the history and elegant styling of more historically inspired muzzleloaders, and you usually don’t get that until you get into the mid or upper price range.
This in bold above is the reason I have looked and moved into the higher price range, well said Flint Striker.

SO this is difficult to say...., because the question will mix "kits" (which vary a lot) with finished rifles and guns, AND with factory produced items.... plus for some there may be a price-point that puts some options out of reach.

Finally, what is one going to do with their flintlock? IF one is strictly doing targets, that's different than hunting small game, which is different than also hunting large game, which is different than small game, birds, and big game....,

I'm going to leave "used" guns that are "out of production" out of this equation, because they greatly vary in price and condition... too much to write "these are as a rule a good value".

So IF one has the skills, and the budget, the Kibler kit is an excellent choice. No question!

IF one does not have the skills, or the budget, then the Pedersoli Frontier in .54 flintlock is an excellent choice for an out-of-the-box rifle for Big game and targets.... it also comes in .50 and is currently, reasonably priced. Lyman rifles tend to be a good value too, and the Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 or .54 is slightly less expensive than the Pedersoli Frontier.

If one does not have the skills, and also wants to hunt small game and birds, then the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket is probably the best value, as it's a smoothbore but will also shoot .610 round ball. That being said, IF one has some basic skill with wood finishing, AND wants to hunt birds, small game, and big game, then the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket KIT, is the best value out there.

IF one is simply looking to shoot blanks while at a historic reenactment, and beat the heck out of it, then a 1st Model 1756 Bess, with matching bayonet, from Loyalist Arms LLC, is in my opinion the best choice for the money.

IF you want something that looks like you went back in time, and grabbed a relic before it got old, and brought it back to shoot and to display..., then you want to contact Dave Person (@dave_person ) and have him build a Bess or a fusil or something for you.

IF you wanted to hunt with a flintlock handgun, AND wanted something really different..., and don't most of us "dare to be different" ?...., then in that case you want a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter Flintlock Pistol (it has a 16" barrel ) , and what the heck, have a stock maker fit it for a removeable shoulder stock....., while at the same time have the barrel reamed out as a smoothbore for shot...., It's a pistol so you're going to be "right on top" of the deer anyway, and as a smoothie it will give you small game and maybe some upland birds...

LD
I will NEVER part with my Lyman/Investarms .54 perc Plains Pistol, ,50 perc. Trade Rifle, or my .54 flint Trade Rifle. Good value for the dollar spent!

Nor will I part with my Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. All 4 arms are to be buried with me. I like them that much!

I have shot BP percussion for 50 years and never built a rifle. I and a friend wanted to get flintlocks and I researched for 2-3 months. We decided to try the Traditions kits. I ordered and received a Kentucky and a Hawken style flintlock rifle kits. After examining them based on advice from several experienced flintlock shooters, we decided these kits were not going to work well for us, so returned them. After lots more research we decided on two Kibler Colonial's. Again neither of us have ever built a rifle kit, and we were nervous about doing it. However after building them we couldn't be more pleased with how they went together and the finished results, absolutely excellent. Also Jim Kibler and his staff have been very good in answering questions during the building process. So even though we paid about double over the Traditions kits, maybe more than double, we couldn't be happier with the rifles we have. And of course they shoot incredibly well. Kibler is the way to go in my opinion.

Lots of great advice on this topic. I will toss my dime onto the plate. Like some here i have bought a factory Traditions Woodsman Hawken .50 Flintlock. It works n is accurate, is a starter & does well punching targets & hunting. Naw its not pc, i bought a Pedersoli Scout kit in .45 flintlock. Was couple hundred + more samolians in cost n not really pc. It also has been a working thorn in my rear, never will i buy another one of them. I am saving my funds to get a Woodsrunner kit if i can get that stock with out a patch box. Plus it will be the last one i buy, bet it will pleasing to the eye & shoot as good as they come.

Latest posts

Back