• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Shot You Ever Had

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make a long story short. At 20i/25ish yards i shot my buddies fixed blade hunting knife in half with his .62 Fowler. Knife was stuck in target frame so you could only see top of blade and handle. Needed to set him straight on shooting these smoothies lol!!! He was lil mad but it worked!

Best shot, how about startled shot.

Back in the 80s I was a bird guide for a summer. I carried a blunderbuss just for fun.
We were walked a trail and when I turn forward a grouse jumped up point blank and flew away.
I hit him square in the tail with the rock and other tid bits laying about.
Ran up & threw him in my back pouch.
About 15 minutes later he tried to get out.
Everyone was laughing so hard no one could shoot.

my best was today. 150 yards , Hawken 45 flintlock. got tired of shooting what i could see well at 50-60 yards. moved my bench back.
was happy dog to even hit the target! quit after the 5th shot.
wife thought i had found gold or something i was dancing so much. she even dusted off her pet name for me. (Old Fool):ghostly:

Attachments

• 20230706_172818.jpg
    20230706_172818.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 0
My best shot with a muzzle loader was actually with a smooth bore. 12 ga. Navy Arms Turkey And Trap. Dbl Barrel, Percussion, choked F/F. It was the opening day of Spring Turkey season and I had barely set foot in the woods when a gobble came in answer to my call. I huddled down behind a bush and tried to sound as sexy as possible with a diaphragm call. Very soon a group of five jakes emerged from out of the bushes. Two of them were very helpful and cocked their heads next to each other, peering in my direction.

One charge of copper plated #4's from the right barrel brought them both down.

1688689565510.png

In addendum: These birds were skinned ( I hate plucking ) and frozen in anticipation of preparation for a family gathering in a few weeks. Unfortunately Mother Nature had other plans as we had an ice storm that took out our electric service for over a week. Crews were called in from out of state to make repairs but by the time electrons were flowing through the wires again the birds were a lost cause. I buried them together out behind the house.

The last shot on this target. 1986 Levi Garret Indiana Territorial 100 yard AMS cross stick match. I had 3 shots in the X ring so I had to contact the Range Officer to witness the last 2 shots. Got the 4th shot off without any trouble and now had a 4 leaf clover. Went thru my loading routine and got set up to shoot. Can't remember how many times I got locked in position only to take the rifle down because it didn't feel right or the wind wasn't right. I was beginning to think I was going to run out of time. Well finally got the shot off. I hear the range officer "OMG you got it". Then I hear cheering and clapping I turn around and every one on the range was behind my station. While I was Loading The Range Officer had ordered everyone on the line to stop shooting and they were all behind me. Very glad I didn't know that.
you mickey moused that buff! shot a portrait of that rodent! that is inspirational shooting.

If we are talking shots on game, then one stands out in my mind.
It was in the early 80's and I was hunting deer in the coast range, west of Corvallis Or. I knew of an old homestead that had several apple trees that still produced some apples and that sounded like a good lunch. I was walking up to the biggest tree with my mind somewhere else. Suddenly the tree started shaking and apples started falling. For a moment I thought, what the h*** is........and my question was answered. A bear had been up in the tree and finally smelled me. He dropped to the ground about 15 yards in front of me. We locked eyes and he squared up and dropped his head. Somehow during this I had pulled back the hammer. I took aim in the middle of his head and a split second later he was gone in a cloud of smoke. When the smoke cleared he was right where he had been standing, but he wasn't standing anymore. DRT. That's when the shakes started. Reloading has never been so hard. That .45 cal hole looked like a .22. Powder spilled everywhere, a couple of balls dropped, it was great!
I still have a quart of the bear grease I rendered from him. He was about 225 pounds of apple fed bore and tasted wonderful. About a week later I was lucky enough to kill a nice Blacktail not a 100 yards from where the bear died. Those were the best times for hunting in the Oregon coast range.

I was shooting in a demonstration shoot with several club members in the early 1980s. All of us in our best rendezvous outfits
We were shooting balloons on a backer at about twenty five yards. A friend Calvin Parton and I had both just shot. Both of us had loaded and ready to shoot pistols stuck on our belts.
Mine a CVA Mountian pistol, Calvin’s a golden age arms Hawken pistol I had built for him.
We had just both shot our rifles when a spectator yelled out, ‘now you’re empty, and the injuns are coming what you going to do?
Both of us at the same time, without any coordination both drew our pistols and fired with almost one report.
We had both shot at the same balloon, one that had not been replaced. So there were two new holes in the board, about an inch apart

my birthday 2013 muzzleloader season -35 plus wind chill sitting in the stand looking into the wind we went out early as they hadn't moved to the food plots for a day. 3 hours looking into the wind shivering so bad the stand was shaking and was debating getting down, scanned one more time and on the far edge of the plot what appeared to be a nice buck feeding ranged him at 125 yds struggled to get the cva kentucky flint out the window made what i thought was a good shot but the smoke cleared and nothing there long story short we recovered it the next day put it in the garage with a torpedo heater blowing on it for 10 hours and it was still froze solid we were able to get the backstraps and quarters and that was all............did i mention that my nice buck turned out to be a basket 6! the most ground shrinkage ever. I had it mounted and proudly hangs next to my largest buck ever

T'wasn't me but the Wife. We were target shooting with a good friend Randall (that has passed over now) and he wasn't too sure the flintlock rifles were accurate. There was a fence out about 80 yards and he put a pop can on the fence post as a target. The wife with her .45 flinter hit that pop can first shot. Randall was surprised to say the least.
Ohio Rusty ><>

My best was a little different. Had an original, not marked, but probably a Wm. Antes as side opening patch-box profile matched a marked wender by him. It had been recently relined (was years ago before good reproductions were available). I had not shot it. Was out carrying it near our farm pond and discovered a neighbor boy fishing. Someone had a bobber and hook caught in the tree foliage over the pond. Told the boy I would shoot the bobber. As I took aim decided not to shoot the bobber but told the boy I would shoot the line so he could recover it. So took aim at the line, while lining it up with tree trunk for safety. I shot the line and the bobber went plunk into the pond. The boy had a reputation but he never stole from us. Could not do that again if my life depended on it.

Last edited:
After much practice and anticipation, I finally had a buck antelope in front of me. However, he was 138-yards and walking towards a break in a wire fence where the does he was following made a hard right going straight away. I told myself " I can do this". I used the rangefinder and windmeter one more time. Aimed at the buck and held a slight lead and slightly high. When he slowed to go through the gap I squeezed off the flintlock trigger and heard a distinct 'Whop" and a high cracking sound simultaneously. I got him..... He's in my Avatar

This one, if it weren't so funny it would be truly embarrassing. I was at Friendship, IN attending the June shoot one year. I decided to shoot the smoothbore silhouette course with my Caywood Wilson gun. Distances were challenging. When it came to shooting my 100 yd. target, I alas jerked the trigger causing the shot to go wide. Realizing this I turned to the loading bench to swab the bore just as I heard the unmistakable clink of a ball striking steel. "Well, somebody made a good shot," I thought to myself.

Just as I turned around, here came the range master, and another shooter who was shooting the rifle silhouette course stationed just feet away. "You shot my target," says the rifleman. At 200 yards? With a smoothbore? I thought they were having me on. I almost started to laugh. But I took a closer look at their faces and said "Hold on, you guys aren't joking, are you?"

In unison they both shook their heads, no. Apologizing profusely amid my conflicting emotions, they both were gracious about the mishap. I packed up my gun and gear and beat a hasty retreat back to camp.

As soon as I was out of earshot, I laughed my fool head off. Two hundred yards...with a 20 ga. smooth bored trade gun! A shooting buddy of mine witnessed the whole episode.

I have another story from that same shoot. Maybe in another post.

If you look at the center of the picture, you'll see steel pipes facing the shooter. 1.5" inside Dia and the other end had pill bottles filled with baby powder. My buddy and I got to that station and asked if anyone had hit the holes yet ( 4 pipes and you chose which pipe you were shooting at). He said no one today, but it's been done before. I took the first shot on pipe #4 and baby powder flew into the air! My buddy took #2 and same result!!! Our group of 4 went 3 out of 4 at that station. That was my first rondy and my first shot at a rondy...

Good times!

Attachments

• 20181020_105343.jpg
    20181020_105343.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My "best" shot is a hunting story.

The first fall after completion of my J.P. Beck flintlock, I headed to my stand in a wooded area adjacent to a swamp. As I approached, I stopped at the sound of deer running through shallow water. I actually said to myself, "I'm not even ready". Two deer sprinted past at 20 yds, first a doe, then a really large buck. I cocked and shouldered the rifle, centered the sights on the lung area of the buck and squeezed the trigger. Once the smoke cleared, I was certain of the kill, but after looking for at least an hour, no blood and no deer! I returned to the spot of the shot, and there between me and the route of the deer was a small maple tree with a .50-hole, dead center!

When I related the story to my friend Lew, his response. "Next time, more powder".

I intended to cut the section of the tree and mount it, never did.

I did take a photo of a similar archery shot. There seems to be a pattern here.

Frosty

Attachments

• Bullseye!.jpg
    Bullseye!.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back