• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Shot You Ever Had

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot this fat doe this past season at 70 paces. She was the largest of three does, that were walking by at a right angle. Waited for her to enter a small clearing in the rather thick cover and aimed for the just front of the chest. The LRB from my 58 Kibler Colonial hit a bit high and back but put her down.
C9699437-CC67-44F2-9EC3-748A2D35A37B.jpeg

I was at my clubs monthly meet and someone had posted a paper plate at 75 yds with a quarter size black dot in the center that you could only see with a spotting scope. We all joked about hitting something we couldn't see but as things settled I decided to go first. I had my 40 cal flintlock (I rarely shoot flinters) I pulled up on the plate and hit the black dot dead center. No one else would shoot at it after that and they ask me to do it again, but knowing how luck works I declined. The next month they presented me with the plate mounted on a wood frame. And they said I had a fat head after that, go figure. steg49

I guess it was either the running doe I shot at about 20 yards with my .62 smoothbore flintlock or the two deer I killed at over 100 yds; this was with two different .50 flintlocks.

Probably 30 years ago now we were patterning shotguns the day before fall turkey season and I had my 40 cal cap gun along to check the sights. I stepped up and and fire a shot at the turkey target. We walked up to see how their guns patterned and where I had hit. My shot went almost center on the brain. One guy said dumb luck and couldn't do that again. Well that's where common sense went out the window and pride took over. I said oh yes I can and we went to the 40 yard line. I reloaded and shot again and said this shot will be 2 inches lower from and dirty barrel. I hit about where I had said and shot the spine off. Then I said to the challenger I will do that again but it will cost you 5 dollars. He looked at me for a second and said no I guess not and no knew how glad I was for that reply. God must have been happy with me that day but I don't know if He was happy enough to let do it 3 times.

I guess my best shot(s) would be Holloween of 2020: carved our pumpkin from 50 yards, eyes with a .50cal Pennsylvania flint rifle and mouth with my .75cal British Naval musket - looked good from the front but his brains were blown out the back of his skull.
(I think I already posted it here, somewhere, new computer not back up yet and all my photos are on back drive...)

I guess my best shot(s) would be Holloween of 2020: carved our pumpkin from 50 yards, eyes with a .50cal Pennsylvania flint rifle and mouth with my .75cal British Naval musket - looked good from the front but his brains were blown out the back of his skull.
(I think I already posted it here, somewhere, new computer not back up yet and all my photos are on back drive...)
That sounds like a good video that @B P Maniac Shooter could do in October!

That sounds like a good video that @B P Maniac Shooter could do in October!
Actually I DO have a video! And photos!
There was a little lizard on the stump the pumpkin sat on, he had a cameo in it too, I didn't see him untill I was editing the footage - little guy stayed for at least two or three shots!
I think I have that one up on YouTube...not sure, if not then I will put it once I get this new computer running (long story...)

Jackrabbit - 165 paces with a TC .54 Hawken. Offhand. Percussion. PRB. 100 grains fff. I'd like to say we took him home and made a gourmet jackrabbit dinner, but, alas that was a different place and time. (Read about the Mud Lake Bunny Bash that took place in 1981 and you might forgive me for not making a meal out of him.) Anyway, no video, no dinner, but a one in a thousand shot nonetheless!

Back