• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best penetrating oils

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work with rusted nuts & bolts daily, all I can say is that this stuff works. Why or how does not matter.
Nothing else works as well! Plain and simple!
It does seperate after a while..SO WHAT! Mix it up again...Shake the can!
If chocolate syrup works....us it!
Old Ford

Recently I had two tractors with the pistons froze up.One was a 48 WD and the other a 48 JD A.Neither tractor could be rotated by pulling.I tried the acetone and at oil and had no luck in the first week.Pumped the mixture out of the cylinders and poured classic coke in them.Waited another week and was able to get a small movement from the JD wich was full of water when I started.Drained the coke through a siphon and replaced with the acetone and AT mix.Jacked up a rear wheel and rocked the tire with the transmission in gear and the clutch engaged.Had the engine free in about fifteen minutes.The other took a little longer by the same method.I really think the coke was the real penetrator.I don't have any idea weather this would work on stuck screws but I sure wouldn't hesitate trying it.

Wow... interesting post about the Coke Jblk... if it can free frozen/rusted metal, I wonder what it does to your internal organs. Glad I no longer drink the stuff. :)

This is some great info guys... thanks for all teh information. I know I'm going to try the ATF/Acetone mix next time I have something stuck. I'll keep the coke thing in the back of my mind too.

Jblk... just curious... why did you decided to even try that? I know I had heard something some years back that if you place a nail in a jar filled with coke it will dissolve the nail in time but I never gave it much thought.

John

Coke has long been used for freeing stuck pistons in interal combustion engines. No big secret in the small engine repair trades.

Enjoy, J.D.

The tangy flavor in Coca-Cola is phosphoric acid, which I'm betting is the penetrant that'll break the rust bond. I've never tried the acetone/ATF yet, but I'll give it a try. I do know that kerosene and ATF works pretty well.

Like a previous poster, I fool around with old tractors. I've got a 1925 16-30 Hart-Parr that I've been soaking for a couple of years. I might have to eventually take the cylinders off, and press the pistons out, but I'm hoping the long soak in penetrating oil will make the job easier. With two cylinders, 6 1/2 inch bores by 7 inch strokes, it takes alot to fill them up. I'd go broke if I was buying commercial penetrating oil, so I have to use the homemade stuff---which is better, anyway.

Rod

This works great, the Acetone & ATF mix. It should also be noted that Acetone, Laquer thinner, etc. is also Extremely Flameable, and you should keep it in a sealed container, not laying around in the shop open, near any type of flame, nor near any welding.
Many fumes are explosive and in a contained area, even a flick of a light switch can detonate explosive vapors in a confined area.

So you guys that are new to using this stuff, be careful. :wink:

I know a guy that was using straight gasoline in a shop to clean parts, because he was too cheap to buy a good cleaner & use it properly. Had pans of parts in gasoline all over the place with old engine parts soaking in it. He left the garage overnight & the heater came on in the early morning & fortunately nobody was in there, as the garage is now a pile of burnt debris.

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back