• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Great penetrating oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the thing with acetone is it dries up pretty quick in that mix with ATF. so I mix a small amount when I need it instead of making a larger amount where the acetone just evaporates

Acetone is extremely toxic if ingested . Just buy Kroil !

Well, I can personally attest that isn't completely correct.

I usually work well into the night, even though I'm retired, as it seems I'm not interrupted as much. One day, I was going great guns on a rifle I was building and wound up working all night as well. However, a couple hours before dawn, I made a hugely stupid mistake, after I decided to do "one more little thing" before going to bed.

I grabbed what I thought was a 16 oz. bottle of Mountain Dew and took a good swig and swallowed, BUT it didn't taste right. Then to my shock, I realized I had picked up a bottle of Acetone I keep on the bench, instead. I called the 24 hr Emergency Poison Hot Line and frankly was very surprised by their answer. They told me NOT to induce vomiting and even though I took a pretty good slug of it, NOT to try anything to "neutralize it," but call them back 8 hours later. Well, I did force myself to drink about two quarts of water, as they said that wouldn't do any harm. They actually called back 8 hours later while I was sleeping and I had no ill effects at all.

Now for Heaven's sake, I'm not suggesting anyone else do such a stupid thing!!

The FUMES of Acetone breathed in over time and/or if you spill it in your eyes is MUCH more dangerous than ingesting some of it.

Gus

I usually work well into the night, even though I'm retired, as it seems I'm not interrupted as much. One day, I was going great guns on a rifle I was building and wound up working all night as well. However, a couple hours before dawn, I made a hugely stupid mistake, after I decided to do "one more little thing" before going to bed.

I grabbed what I thought was a 16 oz. bottle of Mountain Dew and took a good swig and swallowed, BUT it didn't taste right. Then to my shock, I realized I had picked up a bottle of Acetone I keep on the bench, instead. I called the 24 hr Emergency Poison Hot Line and frankly was very surprised by their answer. They told me NOT to induce vomiting and even though I took a pretty good slug of it, NOT to try anything to "neutralize it," but call them back 8 hours later. Well, I did force myself to drink about two quarts of water, as they said that wouldn't do any harm. They actually called back 8 hours later while I was sleeping and I had no ill effects at all.

The FUMES of Acetone breathed in over time and/or if you spill it in your eyes is MUCH more dangerous than ingesting some of it.

Gus
The reason they suggested NOT inducing vomiting is because the acetone would add further damage your throat.
Acetone will damage the liver and it can be absorbed directly thru the skin.

I suggest being very careful when using it and drinking it is definitely not recommended.

Low levels of acetone are normally present in the body from the breakdown of fat; the body can use it in normal processes that make sugar and fat.

Like many chemicals, it's the amount that kills you. Even water is toxic at high levels.

Acetone will damage the liver and it can be absorbed directly thru the skin.

I once worked a job where I dipped my hands into acetone repeatedly. I'm still here. Women coat their fingers with acetone all the time to remove nail polish.

Just be smart and use it responsibly. No acetone cocktails.

Gus
Should have had a olive with it:)

I have been a professional transmission rebuilder for the last45 years, semi retired now. I have had my hands in versol/mineral spirits and brake cleaner, for all those years. they always said it would kill you, I still live, and a lot of others in my profession. and BTW the best penetrating oil is plain old "liquid wrench",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Keep in mind ,however rare, that some moron FORCED a screw into a tapped hole with DIFFERENT THREAD! I’ve seen it.🤬

I used to be a sales rep for ZEP Inc., and I still have a stock of ZEP 45 and Twister on hand. I use that.

Gus
that sucks, I did something similar. After a long days hunt and dragging 3 deer, I stopped to bs with the farmer and went to grab a deer in the fridge. He made beer and was telling me what it was and ok that, I looked the cap took a big swig. Turns out it was citrus acid, for cleaning the best stuff. The farmer about cell over dieing, a asked why he capped it and put it in the fridge. He said something about getting into a good pace capping bottles and for got he was keeping the stuff in a bottle.

Not as bad as acetone but now I can't drink anything without smelling then a small taste test. Side note my teeth never felt cleaner lol.

Latest posts

Back