• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best oil for rust prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebhunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Not sure this is in the correct area. If not please let me know. Anyway, what oil do you trust on your muzzleloader? I have Hoppe Elite, CLP, Amsoil, Barricade and 3-1.

For many years i used Militec1. My gun collection was untouched by human hands for long at two years while working overseas, no rust. Militec1 became a precious commodity distributed by elite suppliers and i changed to Mobil1 which works very well.​

I have had great performance from WD40 as a rust preventative for decades. Just checked out my old TC Hawken that has been in my safe, untouched for 21 years. Not a spec of rust/corrosion. Last treated with WD40 in the bore and exterior- lock and barrel. I also like Barricade for rust prevention and even more-so for lubricating the lockworks.

I have used amsoil for about 40 years on everthing from broadheads to my blackpowderguns it works great no rust

One of the most redundant threads, never much new added.
I have a conglomeration of chemicals always sitting around when I clean or piddle with my muzzleloaders. After a good bore cleaning I’ve used WD 40, olive oil, ballistol, penetrating oil, motor oil and transmission fluid. It’s whatever is closest to me and what I grab first. I’ve never had a rust issue with any of them if the bores were thourougly cleaned before oiling. Oiling is way overthunk! Yes that’s a word in my vocabulary. Race what ya brought to the track!

One of the most redundant threads, never much new added.
Can’t help to feel that way myself at times. But it is something that frequents other forums as well. I understand that “redundancy” of topics on forums may often be an indicator of newcomers to either the sport or site....Which if so, would surely be a positive thing. We always have the option of recommending a search/citing past threads, or deciding not to participate in a particular thread if bored. IMO.

Lol...this was like asking is vanilla or chocolate icecream better?

That said, I echo what many have already said there are many good oils on the market. On modern firearms I use CLP but for my front stuffers I have used that Traditions/OxYoke Wonderlube liquid stuff. However, I am becoming more and more fond of Ballistol.

Back