• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best material for range rods ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's been a week and 3 pages (frankly I'm surprised there aren't more pages)
You gentlemen figure out what, "the best material for range rods," is yet?

When you do I'll book mark it for future reference and for when it comes up again in a few months.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

It's probably true that if people would actually search old posts and archives, there wouldn't be any new postings except the "For Sale" and the political ones -- and the political ones could be eliminated as well except that people get a lot of pleasure from saying the same things there, over and over again, with (sometimes) minor tweaks. :rolleyes: 😂

0.3125" Brass Round Bar 464-H02 Extruded 4' - Part #: 13441 $15.28
RMC Oxyoke wants $31.72 for the same thing (except they call it a "range rod")

OnlineMetals.com (good source for stuff at reasonable prices, they do custom cutting as well)

It's probably true that if people would actually search old posts and archives, there wouldn't be any new postings except the "For Sale" and the political ones -- and the political ones could be eliminated as well except that people get a lot of pleasure from saying the same things there, over and over again, with (sometimes) minor tweaks. :rolleyes: 😂
More to the point,, do you really think that a concensus on the "best" material could ever possibly be reached here?

More to the point,, do you really think that a concensus on the "best" material could ever possibly be reached here?
HERE? Absolutely not. 😂 😂 😂 You could only hope for a collection of insightful and well-reasoned and experience-based options presented in a coherent and thoughtful manner. And we see that all the time here -- right?

My brass range rod came from Ox-Yoke. To my surprise it is a very hard brass. I could not thread the end to put a handle on. Took it to someone with a machinist lathe and he had difficulties threading it. I did not know brass could be made so hard.

0.3125" Brass Round Bar 464-H02 Extruded 4' - Part #: 13441 $15.28
RMC Oxyoke wants $31.72 for the same thing (except they call it a "range rod")

OnlineMetals.com (good source for stuff at reasonable prices, they do custom cutting as well)
I buy alot of metal from online. You have to really figure the shipping costs as to weather that is a good deal

I've been using delrin rods for many years: hard to beat them, and no need for a muzzle guide as they are too soft to harm the barrel. The Log Cabin sells them in different sizes and lengths.

My brass range rod came from Ox-Yoke. To my surprise it is a very hard brass. I could not thread the end to put a handle on. Took it to someone with a machinist lathe and he had difficulties threading it. I did not know brass could be made so hard.
Are you sure the rod was brass or are you pulling our leg? Brass isn't and can't get that hard.

If you have any old arrows aluminum or carbon fiber laying around they make cheap rods and the inserts have the same threads as cleaning jags. Of courses a 44" arrow would be a extremely long arrow.....
I guess you could also use the inserts in a steel tube if you don't have access to machine tools .

My range rods are the ones under the barrel, Hickory. Just like my range box is the same one I carry over my shoulder hunting. Practice like you hunt it hones the skills.

Back