• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best lubrication to use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mk434,
And if i have any butter left over i roll my
popcorn in it or lobster if i am in the chips. :crackup:
Seriously i do not lube my balls, just the patch.
Somehow that don't sound right, but you know what i mean.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Now that's "rude" snake-eyes! your a "moderator",,,,,,,,,and all you can do is the above?''''''that's rude,, :( :eek:
I know what I'll hear next, :yakyak: :yakyak:

(you should apoplogize :sorry:)

Well, the question was:
"What do you guys use for greasing your round balls. I tend to just roll it in butter and it seems to work well for me. Anyone else use any type of grease that works better? "

Although the answer may have seemed rude, it actually is a fairly direct responce to the question.
Most people do not put anything on the ball, they just lube the patch. :front:

OK, better late than never. I was amazed last week to read on this thread of the use of olive oil* for corrosion prevention, so I decided to test it as scientifically as I could. The test method and results are below. Sorry if it a little long. The conclusion is that I will be replacing the expensive gun oil for olive oil*.

I didn't reference brand names because big companys have lots of lawyers, but the brands would be famileir to all of you.

Hey TxRambler - many, many thanks! Nice to have something concrete to go on.

I don't see it on your profile - what do you do for a day job?

Hey TxRambler - many, many thanks! Nice to have something concrete to go on.

I don't see it on your profile - what do you do for a day job?

Az Robert: Glad you liked the "kitchen research".

Originally a Metallurgical Engineer, now I'm QA Manager at a small manufacturing plant making oilfield equipment. Normally I use the plates to test coating thickneses.

Guess I need to update the profile.

I guessed it was an engineer of some sort - it was the scientific approach.

One of my hobbies is (was?) boating. In the search for a better bottom paint (keeps parasites off the hull), I painted a number of wood planks and let them sit in the water for a two months before pulling them up for a check. Simple, cheap experiment that went a long way towards dispelling a lot of the "conventional wisdom" that isn't always so wise. Nothing like trying it out yourself. Similar to the question on another thread, "anybody actually seen the ramrod set off the charge?"

Thanks again.

TxRambler,

Thanks for the tests and report. I will be going strictly "organic" on my lubes from now on. Nice to meet another Houstonian (Jacinto City, actually) doing MLs. I live in Fredericksburg now and the closest place I can find to shoot with other MLers is near Canyon Lake (White Smoke Brigade).

Cheers,

Jerry Oliver :thanks:

rabbit03,

Last time I went to Brady was for the State championships in '78 or '79 (not competing, just watching) --there were at least 300 shooters there. I've been told that there aren't nearly that many any more--is that true? Seems like there aren't nearly as many folks doing muzzleloaders as there used to be.

There's a ML club shooting out SW of San Antonio, but that would be farther than the drive to Canyon Lake, which is about 75 miles.

What's the occasion for the shoot at Brady in October? Is it a regular match? The reason I'm asking is that there will be a Rendezvous just outside of Fredericksburg in October and I may try to make that.

Good to hear from another Texas muzzleloader,

Cheers,

Jerry Oliver :thumbsup:

Pennzoil Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid. It's a lot cheaper than any black powder lube, and that includes olive oil.

Excuse the stupidity, but I thought transmission fluid was petroleum based.
Thanks for your patience,
Jerry

It is indeed AZ, and I am aware of all the warnings against the use of petrolium products as a patch lube. But I haven't had any problems with it. I was turned on to the stuff by a local shop that specializes in black powder shooting, however the proprietor did warn that motor oil would gum up the barrel and not to use it. Does using automatic transmission fluid violate the laws of physics? Who knows, certainly not I? I don't expect the Earth to go hurtling out of its orbit and plunge into the intersteller void because of this one little inconsistancy. I am using it in a .40 cal. percussion rifle with 3F black powder.

What brand of lubricating oil is the best one for muzzleloaders. I use Hoppes lubricating oil for all of my guns and was wondering if I should be using a different/better type for my muzzleloader. Thanks

I use Singer sewing machine oil for lubrication of my lock internals.

Just :m2c:

Pennzoil Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid.

I have HEARD(read actually) that the early transmissions used whale oil and that tranny fluid was developed as a synthetic replacement for whale oil. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I find that kinda hard to believe. Automatic tranies for the most part came into being about 1950 as far as I know. Considering the amount of tranny fluid needed per transmission and the cost of whale oil..not to mention that hunting whales was not near the industry it was in the 1800's...doesn't make a lot of sense.

Riley it was used to lubricate most everything before petrolium was discovered. It helped fuel the industrial revolution. I am glad we discovered oil or there would not be a single whale alive today. It was used in gear cases but I am not sure whether or not it was used in transmisions :hmm:.

Lubricating trains and ships yes. Also lit most of the lamps on those trains and ships.

."Not a liquid, Mink Oil Tallow is actually a soft grease, the tallow rendered from mink fat." I have been using this from Track of the Wolf for several years. I bought a Uberti Santa Fe Hawken from a friend at work, 52+ caliber (520 ball, 526 too tight), based on a Jim Bridger rifle in the Santa Fe museum. It was made in 1985. He got it from Track as a kit and a gunsmith in Huntsville finished it for him. Beautiful, 33 inch browned, maple and German silver. I went to the Track site because this was where the gun came from and found this patch lube. Lube patch strips before hand and cut at the barrel, run a prelubed patch every ten shots just to be safe and consistent. I use hot water to flush, dry and relube. Brush with a .50 brush with a patch on it. I believe not "scrubbing" the bore is part of the secret. Works great, never a hint of rust. Always cleaner than any of my centerfires. P.S. Just got a .50 Pennsylvania , got it ready to go this weekend

Pennzoil Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid.

I have HEARD(read actually) that the early transmissions used whale oil and that tranny fluid was developed as a synthetic replacement for whale oil. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Yes, that is correct!

Back