• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Hunting Projectile?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion round balls are tough to beat...Have always had excellent penetration in 58 cal and up with heavier loads and some expansion depending on what is encountered on the way...Saw a 69 cal with a 180 grain load behind a round ball penetrate a 2 inch limb and drop a bull elk 10 yds the other[url] side...In[/url] any case, not going to give you a buck per bullet when a pure lead round ball does the trick for a dime!...

I am a firm believer in primative weapons shooting primative projectiles, regardless of recent technology...If you have a musket, shoot mini bullets, if you have a slow twist rifled barrel shoot a round ball, that's what they were designed for...If you have a fast twist shallow grooved "Hawkin" then you might be in trouble as I have seen some that won't shoot either bullet or ball with a heavier load accurate enough for hunting bigger game...

If anything is going to wreck the primative seasons it will be pressure from gun manufacturers using technology to "improve" a muzzle loader...The whole idea is a "primative" weapon...Not a modern one is disguise...Anymore, just because it loads from the muzzle, doesn't make it a muzzle loader!...

Can see I've gone down the another trail here so I'll close for now...The Best...The Lizard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back